Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring Cleaning

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Spring Cleaning

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

I had closed one card.  Then HVAC went out and I had to replace it.  The contractor offered me a 0% for 12 months deal, which I took.  I did not understand that it would be funded by a contractor Wells Fargo credit card - I was just worried about a HP.  I do not like WF at all.  Am trying to decide if I should transfer the amount to a 0% balance transfer card.  Too many decisions.  The point being reducing by one credit card did nothing for me, since the HVAC purchased provided another one.  So at square zero.

IncrsCreditScore, I dumped that Wells Fargo card today. My experience with it was marginal at best, and I didn't see a lot of use for it in the future.

I also dumped CareCredit this week.

That gets rid of my two retail cards.

Message 41 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 2016 I closed 8 store cards, combined 2 chase cards, closed my BMW card (which took me months to get cuz the approval process is all old school) and will be closing my CapOne card soon enough. I'll be left with all cards I use, and decent limits and APRs. I think I'll have 6 cards total, and 2 lines of credit. Will be nice to have 8 TLs and almost $100k in available credit, and not have to sock drawer anything as I actually use all 6 cards-mainly 2, but the other 4 do get monthly use for certain categories that don't come up as often like prescriptions and department stores. Good topic, OP. This seems to be more and more popular-combining and closing TLs. Once you get into Prime categories, good APRs and high limits for each card there really is no sense in keeping so many like when you start off rebuilding/repairing.
Message 42 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

I had closed one card.  Then HVAC went out and I had to replace it.  The contractor offered me a 0% for 12 months deal, which I took.  I did not understand that it would be funded by a contractor Wells Fargo credit card - I was just worried about a HP.  I do not like WF at all.  Am trying to decide if I should transfer the amount to a 0% balance transfer card.  Too many decisions.  The point being reducing by one credit card did nothing for me, since the HVAC purchased provided another one.  So at square zero.

I know I wouldn't want anything to do with Wells Fargo.

Message 43 of 55
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Blackswizz750 wrote:
I am looking at ridding my QS and GM card, and overstock. Cap1 won't increase any of my cards so off they go. Overstock is more expensive than Amazon and since getting disco and Amex, I and finding deals that save money and get me points. If I chop them, I will have 9 cards. I want to focus on growing what I have and trim fat that doesn't not benefit me.

Cap1 must be doing pretty well with the GM card. So many people close their accounts without redeeming the rewards.

Funny you say that they sent me an email with a special saying I could use the rewards for service and parts in March and April, I did and then ousted it....

Message 44 of 55
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Glad I didn't end up closing anything yet, particularly Prestige or Hyatt!

Four days ago I thought I wouldn't be flying AA again before July, or be able to redeem my Hyatt annual night.

Now I find myself flying AA with Admirals access and with my annual night booked at a qualifying property.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 45 of 55
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Blackswizz750 wrote:
I am looking at ridding my QS and GM card, and overstock. Cap1 won't increase any of my cards so off they go. Overstock is more expensive than Amazon and since getting disco and Amex, I and finding deals that save money and get me points. If I chop them, I will have 9 cards. I want to focus on growing what I have and trim fat that doesn't not benefit me.

Cap1 must be doing pretty well with the GM card. So many people close their accounts without redeeming the rewards.

Funny you say that they sent me an email with a special saying I could use the rewards for service and parts in March and April, I did and then ousted it....

Oh, okay. That sounds like a good way out for customers having second thoughts about redeeming for a vehicle.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 46 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump! It's May! Still some time for Spring Cleaning. Anyone else?
Message 47 of 55
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Cards that I have closed within the past 1-2 months:

(1)  Citi DP

(2)  Citi Simplicity

(3)  Chase Freedom

(4)  Chase Slate

I combined the Citi card limits into my DC, and closed out the Chase cards because I was unhappy with the APRs (~25% V each).

Message 48 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Message 49 of 55
driftless
Valued Contributor

Not going to axe it because I am about to app for a commercial mortgage but Venture has been sock drawered.  .

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 50 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.