Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Closing Sub-Prime Cards?

tag
Supermama75
Valued Member

Start Closing Sub-Prime Cards?

Hi All-  Not sure what to do with all the sub-prime cards on my CR.  My FICO is about 650 and I'm starting to get some prime offers/cards.  In the last six months, I have obtained Discover It, NFCU Visa Sig CashRewards and Barclay Rewards.  I have a ton of Comenity and GERMB store cards in good standing, as well.  I just closed my Capital One Secured and and wondering what to do with my Credit One, Matrix, Show and Legacy, etc.  Will my report look better if those are closed or will that just mess up my average age???  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: Start Closing Sub-Prime Cards?

@Supermama75 wrote:

Hi All-  Not sure what to do with all the sub-prime cards on my CR.  My FICO is about 650 and I'm starting to get some prime offers/cards.  In the last six months, I have obtained Discover It, NFCU Visa Sig CashRewards and Barclay Rewards.  I have a ton of Comenity and GERMB store cards in good standing, as well.  I just closed my Capital One Secured and and wondering what to do with my Credit One, Matrix, Show and Legacy, etc.  Will my report look better if those are closed or will that just mess up my average age???  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks so much!

IMO, any card with exhorbitant fees (AF, monthly, maintenance) are better off closed when they have served their purpose, ie, established a credit base. You have decent cards, as well as store cards, so I say close the "shark" cards. Your AAoA and/or utilization may take a dip, but you will save a lot of money on the fees these cards charge. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 7
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@Supermama75 wrote:

HI there. If those accounts are costing you money or other wise not what you need any more, by all means, close them. It's best if you can make sure that they are all at least a year old first, but that's your call.

It will not affect your account age. They will still show paid, 0 balance for the next ten years. All it will affect is your current utilization.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I advocate closing cards that have AF or MF attached to them once you feel their assistance is no longer needed, it is what I did immediately after receiving 2 prime cards and I have never regretted doing so. I have also pruned some of my store cards by interest rate, canceling the higher rate cards and keeping the lower rate ones.  Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
Longroad
Established Contributor

Closed all of mine a couple of months ago and haven't regretted it at all. Moving on up and forward. Don't look back. 

Message 5 of 7
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

+1000 to Longroad my sister did the same and she feels like weight was tooken off.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 7
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

I closed any card that was not doing me any good or had a AF. Its a good feeling.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.