Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Farm Student Visa

tag
tvandine
Contributor

State Farm Student Visa

Does anyone have any experience with this credit card? And its credit approvals?

Just new to the credit game and wanting to know about this card, can't find much about it online!

What was your:

Credit Score: TU EX EP?

Which credit report did they pull?

Any baddies?

How many Inq did you have?

Age?

What is your APR and CREDIT LIMIT?

What do you think overall about it?

You don't even want to know how many cards i've got....

Credit Started May 31st, 2014 EQ:710|EX:712|TU:732 FICO:726
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Credit333
Established Member

Re: State Farm Student Visa

This was the first CC I got, 3 years ago. Was 18, and I think I had no history or scores at the time (definitely no baddies or other cards, maybe some student loans). However, my older brother applied for it for me, with himself as another name listed on the card (so it's a partnered account or whatever you call it). I haven't used this card in awhile, since I applied (and received) the SF Rewards card after 1 year of having the Student card. Not sure which CR they pulled.

I was given a $1,000 limit, and have never received an auto CLI (I don't think SF does them). I just requested a CLI for the first time just a couple of weeks ago, and was granted a $1,000 CLI on each card for 1 total pull. Increases are typically only supposed to be $500, but I convinced the underwriter to go with $1,000, which I effectively turned into $2,000 by calling back the next day and rearranging the CLs so that it all went to the same card (do NOT ask the underwriter to do this--she freaked out at the idea--so I when I called back the next day, I didn't even mention the recent CLIs, just the rearrangement of the CLs).

No clue what APR I have, as I pay my balance in full every month so it's irrelevant to me.

Card is fine for a starter card, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. SF hasn't given me any problems whatsoever, but because the card doesn't grow and doesn't have any rewards, it's not much use except to start a credit portfolio. I don't think it can be converted either, but don't quote me on that. If I had to do it all again, I'd do something with a more well-known bank with more bank products, something that you might receive auto-CLIs on or that you might have the potential to convert into a different card. Honestly...I'd go with Discover for these reasons.

In My Wallet: AmEx Blue Cash Everyday ($6,500) | Barclays Sallie Mae World ($12,500) | Discover it Chrome ($6,000)

EX: 756 (07/12/2014) | TU: 752 (07/18/2014)

Other: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards ($3,000) | State Farm Rewards ($4,000) | State Farm Student ($500)
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.