Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy for CLI on Multiple Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strategy for CLI on Multiple Cards

Hi Everyone,

This is a bit of a long first post but seems like the right group to be asking. I'd like to raise my credit score and currently have 3 credit cards and I have not raised the credit limits on them in quite a while (over one year, at least). The cards:

Card: Amex Platinum Delta SkyMiles

Current Limit: $10,000

Account Creation Date: 2013

Credit Score: 780

Notes: I hardly ever use this card, only if I buy a Delta flight (which is rare these days) or I just pay my annual fee.

Card: BoA BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Signature

Current Limit: $25,000

Account Creation Date: October 2012

Notes: This is where is have my checking account and I am a Preferred Rewards Gold Member

Card: Citi Double Cash

Current Limit: $15,000

Account Creation Date: August 2015

Credit Score: 795

I have never paid any of the cards late and also always pay the balance in full.

My questions are:

• How much of an increase should I request on each card?
  • How long should I wait between making requests with each company?
  • Is it better to make the request online (depending on the card) or over the phone?
  • Should be reporting my income including my bonuses? This would make the number substantially higher.
  • Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

Also, given all of the above should I also applying for additional credit cards? If so, which ones?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Strategy for CLI on Multiple Cards

As long as the CLIs are SPs, ask away and it doesn't matter if you space out your requests or go for all of them in the same day.  None of the creditors will know about the other CLI requests, so long as they aren't HPs.  Ask for whatever you want.  Your scores are solid, so they'll likely extend you whatever your profile supports.  For your income, include your bonuses if they can be verified, as it is income.  It doesn't matter which means you use to request CLIs.  Most fine the online methods to be the easiest, least stressful, etc.  Only you know if you should apply for more credit cards.  If the cards you have now suit your spend fine, there's nothing wrong with just having 3.  If there are other rewards areas that you feel you're missing out on based on your spend, perhaps picking up a card or cards catering to other categories may be beneficial to you.

Message 2 of 5
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

This is a bit of a long first post but seems like the right group to be asking. I'd like to raise my credit score and currently have 3 credit cards and I have not raised the credit limits on them in quite a while (over one year, at least). The cards:

Current Limit: $10,000

Account Creation Date: 2013

Notes: I hardly ever use this card, only if I buy a Delta flight (which is rare these days) or I just pay my annual fee.

Current Limit: $25,000

Account Creation Date: October 2012

Notes: This is where is have my checking account and I am a Preferred Rewards Gold Member

Current Limit: $15,000

Account Creation Date: August 2015

Credit Score: 795

I have never paid any of the cards late and also always pay the balance in full.

My questions are:

• How much of an increase should I request on each card?
  • How long should I wait between making requests with each company?
  • Is it better to make the request online (depending on the card) or over the phone?
  • Should be reporting my income including my bonuses? This would make the number substantially higher.
  • Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

Also, given all of the above should I also applying for additional credit cards? If so, which ones?

With your scores, should be no issue.  If it was me:

AM EX: 3X cli online.  Will be a sp, and going from 10 to 30K should be a no-brainer.

BOA: online, ask for 50K.  Will be a hp - that's BOA for you.

Citi: online, ask for 30K.  Should be a sp, otherwise they will notify you for a hp.

I always make sure I give the card some swipes two months prior to asking for a cli, its worked well for me with Am Ex.  I'd report your total gross income, even though they may ask for household income.  All my cards are mine alone, so there's no joint user/income.  Hopefully others will chime in.  Happy hunting!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice, here is where I ended up:

Limit: $10,000 --> $30,000

Limit: $25,000 --> $40,000

Limit: $15,000 --> $22,000

How often can I request CLIs without damaging my credt score? I'm requesting the increases to improve my credit utilization, not because I need it.

Message 4 of 5
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Amex 181 days from the last.
BofA 90 to180 days from the last. Just look for the CLI text.
Citi Double Cash 181 days from the last CLI.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.