Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for travel card or bonus?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggestions for travel card or bonus?

I'm traveling for vacation for the summer and wanted to capitalize on any credit card bonuses I can get.  I don't have a travel card yet but I don't travel that often so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

I already have:

- Citi Double Cash

- Discover It

- Chase AARP

I was thinking of apping for PRG, Venture, Arrival +, or CSP.  Although I had opened my last 3 credit cards in the past 2 years so I don't think CSP would accept me.

Any advice/suggestions?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Suggestions for travel card or bonus?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm traveling for vacation for the summer and wanted to capitalize on any credit card bonuses I can get.  I don't have a travel card yet but I don't travel that often so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

I already have:

- Citi Double Cash

- Discover It

- Chase AARP

I was thinking of apping for PRG, Venture, Arrival +, or CSP.  Although I had opened my last 3 credit cards in the past 2 years so I don't think CSP would accept me.

Any advice/suggestions?

Chase should accept you since their rule is 5 cards in 24 months.

I'd only get the CSP if you can meet the 4k/3months spending to get their welcome bonus of 50k UR.

It seems like a really popular card.

The PRG has a $195 AF starting the second year, verus $95 for the CSP starting the second year.

Message 2 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

Search your destinations for flight and hotel costs as well as choosing hotels/rooms/suites that will make your stay comfortable.  Make sure you can make the spend on the card(s) and get the bonus before the trip(s).

Chances are you will be better off with 2 cards. UR works pretty good for your first rewards flight experience as it's easy to book a flight through their portal and you get an extra % over 1:1 (I think 50,000 UR's = $650 toward tickets) so CSP for flights.

Hotel cards are everywhere but I usually stay at Marriott properties. You can find rooms for 10,000-15,000 points per night if you aren't picky.

CSP and Marriott spend = 7k  

Both Chase cards so app for CSP first (if you decide to go this route), then Marriott immediately after. If you need to spread out the spend you can app for Marriott a couple months after for an extra HP.

My office manager just did this churn for a 5 day free domestic trip for 2, DTW to PHX.  Worked like a charm.

Message 3 of 8
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

While these two aren't the best offering they both offer no AF so you could easily just earn points at whatever pace you want for free. Amex Hilton HHONORS which is the better card than citi version along with the JetBlue. Both offer sign up bonuses and both have options for no AF. Depending on how much you spend you could possibly get one or two tickets out of the JetBlue card and a free night on the Hilton card. The AF version of thr JetBlue card is $99 and offers a 5,000 point bonus annually which I believe costs more than $100 should you want to buy points. 5,000 points is enough for a free flight depending on the time you want to use it. I did notice I could go to Boston from NYC for around 5,000 points and I believe it was round trip but I could be wrong.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I already have:

- Citi Double Cash

- Discover It

- Chase AARP

Any advice/suggestions?

We can't say since we don't know what your scores are.

But CSP is reputed to be the best travel rewards card, and the rule is a 5/24 rule, not a 3/24 rule.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 8
NattyPButter
Contributor

keep making a damn post in this thread and my post keeps getting damn deleted...**bleep** is going on?

Message 6 of 8
NattyPButter
Contributor

why do ppl keep recommending the CSP to ppl that don't traval a lot? Card doesn't seem worth it if you can't get over $4,000 in dining and travel alone. Since you'll need to hit that mark just to pay off the annual fee alone. Used an online site about travel cards and put in my spending, and it  seems like the Venture or Arrival+ is the best choice for me or anyone that dosn't over $30,000 a year in the card. Am I missing something? because I plan to apply for a travel card Friday and leaning towards the Venture. 

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@NattyPButter wrote:

keep making a damn post in this thread and my post keeps getting damn deleted...**bleep** is going on?

The posts were automatically removed by the spam filter, it didnt like the URL you were trying to post. If this happens again just PM a mod and let s/he know about it and the post can be restored by one of us.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.