Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched card from GoRewards to Platinum AND questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Switched card from GoRewards to Platinum AND questions

I just got my first CC with NFCU (GoRewards) and realized afterward that the Platinum has a balance transfer promotion going on (no interest for 12 months on balance transfers). This really helps me out as I have been paying about $300 a month in interest! I transferred my other cards to this card and hope to pay it off in 3 or 4 months and then apply for a second card. Another good thing--they lowered my interest rate as well from 18 to 16.99 (on purchases). So I am very happy with NFCU.
Question 1: My husband is a new US permanent resident from Canada. So he has essentially a credit score of 0. We got him the nRewards secured card to establish credit for him. My question is, if I add him as an authorized user will it help improve his credit as well?
Question 2: on experian my 3 credit scores were higher than Credit Karma. Do they use a different FICO score? Experian uses FICO 8. What does NFCU use?
Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Re: Switched card from GoRewards to Platinum AND questions

Sorry if this is not related to your question but did they allow you to take advantage of the promo even though it was not a new card?  My wife tried this and was denied.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a brand new card. I had just applied 2 days before and it hadn't even shown up in my online account yet. Maybe that was why. They changed it on their end and will send me my card soon.
Message 3 of 7
Appleman
Valued Contributor

1. Adding an AU helping credit score. This depends on many factors. One thing to consider is utilization on the card. If the utilization is high on the AU card it may actually hurt his score.

2.Yes Credit Karma uses the Vantage 3.0 score. NFCU uses an internal score that caps at 450 or so. Most people do not feel Credit Karma scores are good for knowing your actual score but I find them helpful for following trends of my credit.

I would recommned that you get a trial membership at Credit Check Total for $1. This will give you all 3 CB's FICO 08 score. Just make sure to cancel in the first 7 days or you will get billed the full amount. If you join myFICO you get all of the various versions of FICO scores with a 3B report, credit card, auto, mortgage etc.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Appleman! I appreciate the advice! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU gives you FICO 9. 

Message 6 of 7
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

1. Adding an AU helping credit score. This depends on many factors. One thing to consider is utilization on the card. If the utilization is high on the AU card it may actually hurt his score.

2.Yes Credit Karma uses the Vantage 3.0 score. NFCU uses an internal score that caps at 450 or so. Most people do not feel Credit Karma scores are good for knowing your actual score but I find them helpful for following trends of my credit.

I would recommned that you get a trial membership at Credit Check Total for $1. This will give you all 3 CB's FICO 08 score. Just make sure to cancel in the first 7 days or you will get billed the full amount. If you join myFICO you get all of the various versions of FICO scores with a 3B report, credit card, auto, mortgage etc.

Its pretty easy to get free FICO scores once a month from various credit cards and bank accounts. I get 10 scores each month myself, 3 of which are duplicates so i get to see some scores (TU 08, EX 08) more often than once per month. And yes, I get all three of the regular scores (EQ 08, EX 08, TU 08) as part of the 10 scores.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.