cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony (Marvel) finally added instant purchase alerts!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony (Marvel) finally added instant purchase alerts!

It is no secret that I have been complaining about the lack of alerts on Synchrony cards for awhile. I logged in to my Marvel card earlier today to make sure I had alerts checked as I hadn't gotten any from purchases over the last few days (these were 24-72 hour delayed alerts but I hadn't even gotten those) and I noticed that they updated the alert page. It used to be that you could only get instant alerts for $300 or more but it's now $1 or more. I set that a few hours ago and a new day started in my game so I paid my $1.02 and voila! Email came instantly!

96231289-0A03-449A-BBF2-831779B24D60.jpeg

Unfortunately PayPal still doesn't even have the option to set transaction alerts. From talking to Synchrony previously, this was a decision that PayPal made. I will probably get rid of that card when it turns 1 in January as a result. 

Also Synchrony can't text message numbers that are on a virtual carrier. I don't get text messages even though I selected Verizon as my carrier since they're the carrier behind Xfinity Mobile. Email works for me though, it's better than no notifications as it was before. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Synchrony (Marvel) finally added instant purchase alerts!

Although more options are better than fewer, is it worth ditching a card over the lack of alerts? Alerts are nice, but ultimately, you're not responsible for any fraud, and most of us on here are quite vigilant about checking our accounts anyway. To me, alerts are more of a nuisance than a must have, since I'm checking the accounts anyway, but, to each their own.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would prefer text alerts over email. But it is better than nothing. I wish BoA would have immediate text alerts, instead of 3 days later. They are a major bank with a small bank alert system.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Although more options are better than fewer, is it worth ditching a card over the lack of alerts? Alerts are nice, but ultimately, you're not responsible for any fraud, and most of us on here are quite vigilant about checking our accounts anyway. To me, alerts are more of a nuisance than a must have, since I'm checking the accounts anyway, but, to each their own.

If Synchrony had a better reputation for handling disputes, I wouldn't care as much but since they don't have the greatest reputation in that department, I want to know ASAP so I can report it online and get the ball rolling. Most fraudsters don't jump right in with a large charge, they make a small one first. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would prefer text alerts over email. But it is better than nothing. I wish BoA would have immediate text alerts, instead of 3 days later. They are a major bank with a small bank alert system.

Synchrony does have text alerts if your carrier is in the list to choose from. I was just pointing out that they finally have instant alerts instead of what it sounds like BoA has (which would drive me nuts too, especially since BoA has a card app!?)

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Synchrony does have text alerts if your carrier is in the list to choose from. I was just pointing out that they finally have instant alerts instead of what it sounds like BoA has (which would drive me nuts too, especially since BoA has a card app!?)

BoA spent too much time on Erica, and not enough on text alert delivery. Maybe I can ask Erica if any fraudulent charges were made on my account, but she doesn't work unless you are logged into the app.

It wasn't that long ago I called BoA and asked them when they were going to get around to displaying the next closing date on their website. That was a piece of info missing.

Instant text alerts should be standard in 2019.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

BoA spent too much time on Erica, and not enough on text alert delivery. Maybe I can ask Erica if any fraudulent charges were made on my account, but she doesn't work unless you are logged into the app.

It wasn't that long ago I called BoA and asked them when they were going to get around to displaying the next closing date on their website. That was a piece of info missing.

This is the thing I gripe about the most with credit cards. 

I believe every card should have two things - instant alerts and the ability to easily stop charges being made on the card. Synchrony still hasn't caught on to that second one. Comenity is actually way ahead of them there, not just offering the ability to freeze their major credit cards on the website but giving you the option to freeze for all transactions or let recurring transactions through. 

But this change to Marvel literally happened in the last few days so maybe Synchrony is going to get their act together. 

Message 7 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thanks for sharing @Anonymous Smiley Happy ill definetly go update my alertsSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Thanks for sharing @Anonymous Smiley Happy ill definetly go update my alertsSmiley Happy

I swear I heard a chorus sing "Hallelujah" when I got that email. 🤣 

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is the thing I gripe about the most with credit cards. 

I believe every card should have two things - instant alerts and the ability to easily stop charges being made on the card. Synchrony still hasn't caught on to that second one. Comenity is actually way ahead of them there, not just offering the ability to freeze their major credit cards on the website but giving you the option to freeze for all transactions or let recurring transactions through. 

But this change to Marvel literally happened in the last few days so maybe Synchrony is going to get their act together. 

We had a poster in this forum who got whacked with a ton of charges AFTER the account was shut down. It was a Synchrony account, maybe or maybe not before the transition of the account to cap one. That's unacceptable. I haven't had an issue with cap one shutting down fraud,  so maybe Synchrony was responsible. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.