cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Verizon Visa changes (now 4% dining)

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Synchrony Verizon Visa changes (now 4% dining)

I just got a mailer announcing changes coming to the Synchrony Verizon Visa.  Here are the new category earning rates:

4% On grocery store and gas purchases (unchanged)

4% On dining purchases, including takeout (previously 3%)

4% On Verizon purchases - Fine print says "Excludes bill payment and items charged to Verizon Wireless and Verizon Fios bills."

1% On all other purchases

They made a point to highlight that bill payments earn 1% and that you still get the $10 autopay discount per line.

https://vvcupdates.com/

Depending on how you use the card this could be an upgrade or a nerf.  Lately I had only been using it to pay my Verizon bill since I have travel plans for next year and most of my spend now goes on cards that earn points for that.  Based on these changes I suspect many cardholders had a similar pattern.    I intend to continue using it for that purpose since the autopay discount is still worth it and it's the only credit card they give it to.  1% is still better than 0% when pulled from my checking account.

The 4% categories are very attractive, though, especially when considering this card has no FTFs.  If you're on team cash back this could be a very valuable card if you use Verizon Wireless.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Synchrony Verizon Visa changes (now 4% dining)

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I just got a mailer announcing changes coming to the Synchrony Verizon Visa.  Here are the new category earning rates:

4% On grocery store and gas purchases (unchanged)

4% On dining purchases, including takeout (previously 3%)

4% On Verizon purchases - Fine print says "Excludes bill payment and items charged to Verizon Wireless and Verizon Fios bills."

1% On all other purchases

They made a point to highlight that bill payments earn 1% and that you still get the $10 autopay discount per line.

https://vvcupdates.com/

Depending on how you use the card this could be an upgrade or a nerf.  Lately I had only been using it to pay my Verizon bill since I have travel plans for next year and most of my spend now goes on cards that earn points for that.  Based on these changes I suspect many cardholders had a similar pattern.    I intend to continue using it for that purpose since the autopay discount is still worth it and it's the only credit card they give it to.  1% is still better than 0% when pulled from my checking account.

The 4% categories are very attractive, though, especially when considering this card has no FTFs.  If you're on team cash back this could be a very valuable card if you use Verizon Wireless.

So paying the verizon bill is less rewarding, but presumably you are paying some of it with the Verizon dollars (or whatever they call them) anyway.  Does seem a good choice, although I always thought the original point was a credit card that you could use with the discount.  1% is something but not all that better than using a bank account!

Message 2 of 9
GZG
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

So paying the verizon bill is less rewarding, but presumably you are paying some of it with the Verizon dollars (or whatever they call them) anyway.  Does seem a good choice, although I always thought the original point was a credit card that you could use with the discount.  1% is something but not all that better than using a bank account!

missed opportunity IMO to count the 'autopay' discount as part of the rewards structure for the card, take the negative that it only earns 1% into a positive of $10+ value every month

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

5% cards:

3% and 2% cards:

Low APR cards:

2/6, 3/12, 11/24

Message 3 of 9
markhs777
Regular Contributor

If you're a Verizon customer it's a no brainer. As aforementioned a $10 discount for your bill on auto pay. The 4% on necessities like dining, groceries and gas is hard to beat. Even though it's a Sync card it a better deal than many cards  with AF's issued by "prime" banks.

Message 4 of 9
1LostArk
Regular Contributor

Now they just need to bring back the metal version of the card. The plastic design is by far the worst feeling and worst looking card I've ever seen. After I had it a week it looked like scratched and scuffed up gift card. I'd be embarassed to use it to pay for meals for others, as it looks like I'm using a prepaid card or something. Additionally, the numbers are nearly unreadable on the back, printed in a dark grey font. I need a flashlight just to enter the card details on websites. Just atrocious. If Verizon wants to market themselves as a "premium" carrier, which their service prices seem to indiciate, they need to correct the embarassment that is the plastic Visa card post haste. I have been boycotting it in protest, using it for the 1% bill discount only.

Business Cards:
Message 5 of 9
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

ugh...just reading through the flyer the sent me yesterday, having the card is still a no brainer for me given the $10 per line discount but it sucks to be losing the 4% gas discount and I already have a 4% dining card (USB Altitude Go) 

Message 6 of 9
markhs777
Regular Contributor

The flyer I received the other day still shows. 4% discount on gas.

Message 7 of 9
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Lurker22 wrote:

ugh...just reading through the flyer the sent me yesterday, having the card is still a no brainer for me given the $10 per line discount but it sucks to be losing the 4% gas discount and I already have a 4% dining card (USB Altitude Go) 

You're not losing 4% on gas.

Message 8 of 9
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Lurker22 wrote:

You're not losing 4% on gas.

stand corrected, read the flyer too quickly 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.