Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-Minus 5 weeks (NFCU is coming!) + Questions

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

T-Minus 5 weeks (NFCU is coming!) + Questions

In exactly 5 weeks, I will be eligible for NFCU!!!  Its a good day.  I do have a question.  When I apply for NFCU (even if just for a savings) it would be a hard pull? So when I open account I need to also app for CC?  If so, should I wait till November to app?  November will be 6 month history with new credit cards (my only open CC accounts).  Also, I was thinking of mini app spree in November. 

Wanted to target these cards in this order:  1. Zync, 2. NFCU rewards and 3. TU pull (Barclay, Amazon, Walmart, etc.) There maybe a 4th card (Chase Freedom but I think that's a long shot with my payment history).

Thoughts?

Duncan

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: T-Minus 5 weeks (NFCU is coming!) + Questions

@Duncanrr wrote:

In exactly 5 weeks, I will be eligible for NFCU!!!  Its a good day.  I do have a question.  When I apply for NFCU (even if just for a savings) it would be a hard pull? So when I open account I need to also app for CC?  If so, should I wait till November to app?  November will be 6 month history with new credit cards (my only open CC accounts).  Also, I was thinking of mini app spree in November. 

Wanted to target these cards in this order:  1. Zync, 2. NFCU rewards and 3. TU pull (Barclay, Amazon, Walmart, etc.) There maybe a 4th card (Chase Freedom but I think that's a long shot with my payment history).

Thoughts?

Duncan

Navy HP for ALL APPS!

I would do Zync and Navy then wait for those 2 accounts to show on credit and then hit up Amazon,Walmart,Barclay 1st!, skip Chase until next year if I was you... like April 2013 so all apps will be over 6 months

Message 2 of 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Nfcu will be one pull to join.  Another pull for card maybe two.  Any remember 6 statements/months reporting, not just six months.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Duncanrr wrote:

In exactly 5 weeks, I will be eligible for NFCU!!!  Its a good day.  I do have a question.  When I apply for NFCU (even if just for a savings) it would be a hard pull? So when I open account I need to also app for CC? 

Yes, practially everthing with NFCU is a HP

If so, should I wait till November to app?  November will be 6 month history with new credit cards (my only open CC accounts).  Also, I was thinking of mini app spree in November. 

If you are interested in Zync and Freedom, you should app in this order (I don't think its a long shot):

Chase Freedom

Amex Zync

GE Backed Card

NFCU Membership

NFCU Credit Card

Thoughts?

Duncan

See above Smiley Happy

I know you're excited, with good reason.  Save NFCU for last if you want to app for Chase and Amex. 

Edit:  after reading LS's post, I have changed my mind...  Save Freedom for next year Smiley Very Happy  Amex and NFCU will get you by until then.  Unless you actually shop at the store a lot and want the 0% interest, I would skip the GE backed card.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Not sure about that.  Nfcu likely to report high cl compared to existing cards.  Might want that to report before apping to other cards.

Message 5 of 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

NO need to worry about Amex and nfcu.  Nfcu basically doesn't pull experian and Amex charge cards almost always pull experian.

Message 6 of 9
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Thanks for advice.  Its appreciated.  I will postpone my NFCU membership another month until November.  It would be late Novemember as my statements cut the second half of the month.  That would put current cards at 6 months old and 6 statements prior to new cc apps.

I think Ive settled on the order:

1. Zync, 2. NFCU (membership+rewards card); and 3. TU card

(Note: Cashem brings up interesting point about difference in pulls - Ive actually targets these cards to spread out inquiries and not have too many inquiries generated on one CRA.  My concern is having a new CC report on CR's 1 month prior to apping for Zync.  Do you think the new credit would hurt Zync app?  I have 2 old closed cards still reporting on EX and they give me ok AAoA on revolving cards on EX.  The addition of another card on EX may lower that.)

Duncan

Message 7 of 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

App for nfcu and zync at same time.  Limit for nfcu won't help zync since it is charge card.  Tu card you have to decide.  Possibility of higher limit from nfcu reporting vs lower possibilityfor approval from having new card.

Message 8 of 9
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

App for nfcu and zync at same time.  Limit for nfcu won't help zync since it is charge card.  Tu card you have to decide.  Possibility of higher limit from nfcu reporting vs lower possibilityfor approval from having new card.

Im not too concerned about TU card as the ones I've selected typically grow fairly well and I dont need the avialable credit.  I just need the trade line.  I may throw a Chase Freedom app at the very end just to test the waters and get on their radar.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.