cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TD Easy Rewards - When Do They Close For Inactivity?

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

TD Easy Rewards - When Do They Close For Inactivity?

Hey all,

So it'll officially be 6 months since I've last used my Easy Rewards card tomorrow. Their balance transfer/convenience checks simply aren't the best deal (0% interest for 12-15 months, but with a 4% balance transfer fee), and I only earn the 1% base rate.

Two questions:

1.) Has anyone ever had a TD card close for inactivity? If so, how long did it take? Do you think they'll close it at the 6 month mark of last activity, or do I have a bit of time?

2.) I can't think of any pressing purchases I need for tomorrow, if I decide that I absolutely NEED to make a purchase right away. Some things that come to mind are:

1.) making an auto insurance payment (I have an ACH already scheduled for the 24th for $223, and I'm not sure if paying the full amount before the due date will halt the ACH and make it wait until next month, but I can pay as low as $0.01 towards my premium with a CC).

2.) buying $5 or $10 worth of gas, even though most places in my area of NJ make you pay more for credit, and the ones who don't are often high prices anyways. but for $5-$10, this difference may be small.

3.) buying lunch. I typically bring my own lunch to work and eat at home for my other meals to save money, so I'd prefer not to stop at a eatery just to use it, but it is an option.

I suppose it isn't the end of the world if I let the account close, although that $5k line is nice. I have 9% utilization currently, so it'll cause my utilization to jump a little bit. No apps until *hopefully* June 2016 to let auto loan inquiries drop off and let my accounts age. Any opinions towards this matter? Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Re: TD Easy Rewards - When Do They Close For Inactivity?

Get the MCD's App...Go to MCD's and get $1 Large Soda and a free sandwhich for downloading the app. Pay with TD. Easy! 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 2 of 6
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@nursepower wrote:

Get the MCD's App...Go to MCD's and get $1 Large Soda and a free sandwhich for downloading the app. Pay with TD. Easy! 

Hmm not a bad deal! Thanks, nurse Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@nursepower wrote:

Hmm not a bad deal! Thanks, nurse Smiley Happy

Even if they close, doesn't look it will make a big difference given your other CLs.  And of course, this is a card you SHOULD close and get again, for the 6 month 5% period!

Message 4 of 6
pip3man
Valued Contributor

I got this card back in May but only used it for the first time last week for my Sprint cell phone bill which I got 590 points!! I'm still new to TD Credit services but been banking with them for the longest so I really don't know their policy in that regards. Put a Netflix subscription on that card, u got a nice limit on it and u don't want it closing out due to inactivity

Message 5 of 6
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

I got this card back in May but only used it for the first time last week for my Sprint cell phone bill which I got 590 points!! I'm still new to TD Credit services but been banking with them for the longest so I really don't know their policy in that regards. Put a Netflix subscription on that card, u got a nice limit on it and u don't want it closing out due to inactivity

Thanks longtime and mister for each of your advice! Although I know this card won't be in my wallet forever, I think I'll keep it around a little longer until I have all my wishlist cards. I wound up putting a $0.01 charge towards my auto insurance. Easy-peasy and not a waste of rewards, I'll have to do that every 6 months or until I'm finally ready to sock-drawer it away and let it die!

I got this card back in Aug 2012, I believe; it was great because I was going to Austin for a week that January and used it for all the restaurants we went to Smiley Happy it really helped rack up the points!

TD is my main bank, although in another year my student checking goes away. At least the minimum balance isn't too harsh for the regular accounts. I'd get rid of it completely and maybe just keep my savings, but I have a stack of checks that I bought a while back that I don't want to go to waste...at this rate of actually using checks, though, I'll have the account until I'm dead XD

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.