Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take that Amazon Chase!

tag
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Take that Amazon Chase!

It's always peeved me that the Amazon Prime's annual fee never got 5% off with the Chase Amazon card, it gets a measly 1%. Recently, our BofA rewards cards qualified for their preferred honors and now use it to get 5.25% on Amazon purchases. The other day we got hit for the $119 +tax= $131.31 annual fee and we got the full rebate of $6.84. Yippee. 

I know, small victory, but I'll take 'em where I can get 'em.  Remember to use your best card for Amazon Prime's annual fees, they can be separate from usual Amazon purchases.

Now I have to decide if just the music and tv is worth $130 a year. We don't need Prime to get the 5% rewards.... guess I'm paid up and have a year to decide.  Smiley Happy  

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Take that Amazon Chase!

I wasn’t aware that the Chase card didn’t get 5% back on the Prime fee. 

I wonder if the Store Card does... there’s nothing I’ve seen that says it doesn’t but if it doesn’t then I would like to know beforehand so I can put it on PayPal and get 2% at least. 

By the way, if you don’t think Prime is worth it, you can cancel and get a full refund as long as you meet the conditions below. 

If you cancel within 3 business days of signing up for or converting from a free trial to a paid membership, we will refund your full membership fee; provided that we may charge you (or withhold from your refund) the value of Prime benefits used by you and your account during this 3-business day period. If you cancel at any other time, we will refund your full membership fee only if you and your account did not make any eligible purchases or take advantage of Prime benefits since your latest Prime membership charge.”

Message 2 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Turbobuick wrote:

It's always peeved me that the Amazon Prime's annual fee never got 5% off with the Chase Amazon card, it gets a measly 1%. Recently, our BofA rewards cards qualified for their preferred honors and now use it to get 5.25% on Amazon purchases. The other day we got hit for the $119 +tax= $131.31 annual fee and we got the full rebate of $6.84. Yippee. 

I know, small victory, but I'll take 'em where I can get 'em.  Remember to use your best card for Amazon Prime's annual fees, they can be separate from usual Amazon purchases.

Now I have to decide if just the music and tv is worth $130 a year. We don't need Prime to get the 5% rewards.... guess I'm paid up and have a year to decide.  Smiley Happy  

Mine just renewed last month, and I could have sworn I did get 5% rewards on the Prime fee.  I'm especially sensitive to it since I'm in one of the states where they add sales tax to the fee (8% here).  Smiley Frustrated

I might be mistaken... when I have a chance I'll dig a little deeper and will follow-up with a data point for either outcome.

Message 3 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

Mine just renewed last month, and I could have sworn I did get 5% rewards on the Prime fee.  I'm especially sensitive to it since I'm in one of the states where they add sales tax to the fee (8% here).  Smiley Frustrated

I might be mistaken... when I have a chance I'll dig a little deeper and will follow-up with a data point for either outcome.

yep my fee hit this month as well on amex version of card pretty sure i won't get the 5%, but we will see.. Ya isn't it nice to get charged the wonderful sales tax to the fee in my case im in a 9.x percent tax state :/

Message 4 of 12
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I was not aware there was a AmEx version of the Chase Amazon Prime card. I thought they were all Visa's. I also feel sorry for your taxes as here there is a more palatable 7% statewide with a 1% local for restaurant meals added.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense WMC, Curve WEMC(Suspended), Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, PCMCU Platinum Rewards, Redstone FCU Signature, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 5 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

The sales tax thing is a concern in many states, but we have no income tax in my state, so I’ll take the Amazon Prime Sales Tax please Smiley Happy
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@zerofire wrote:

I was not aware there was a AmEx version of the Chase Amazon Prime card. I thought they were all Visa's. I also feel sorry for your taxes as here there is a more palatable 7% statewide with a 1% local for restaurant meals added.

Amex has a business card version of it either 5% or net 90 if prime member or 3% or net 60 I believe if you are non prime member similiar to chase also chase doesn't offer the net 60/90 terms just 3 or 5% back

Message 7 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Hrm it’s been almost a year to the day (4/1) since my prime memebership last renewed.

I am pretty sure I got the 5% on it before, but unfortunately Chase seems to have airstruck the rewards calculation from the old purchases including ones I know I got 5% on.

I’ll report back in a few days to see if it changed Smiley Wink

        
Message 8 of 12
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Crap... hope I didn't have another senior moment as they seem to occur more often lately.

The annual fees always come without warning and I sure sometime in the past I didn't get rewards for the fee. Perhaps things have changed?  If so, delete delete delete.  lol 

Message 9 of 12
T-Bear
Valued Member

I also have the Chase Amazon Prime card. My Prime membership renewed middle of last month and I got the 5% on it.ChaseAmazonPrime.PNG

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.