Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Credit Card Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target Credit Card Question

I see throughout the forum, people are getting the Target Credit Card?  Why?  Is it easy to get and how are the rates?  How are the CL's.  I may try to get one if the news is good.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
azsassycat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Target Credit Card Question

I got a Target Credit Card a couple of months ago.  After I paid with my bank debit card, a receipt printed with a "You Are Approved" section so I thought - why not.

My credit scores s**k so I only got a $200 credit limit, but it's better than nothing.

My question is - when (if ever) does Target give credit limit increases?  Do you have to ask or do they review your file internally?  Thanks so much!

Cathleen
10/22/07 (FICO) EQ 544 EX 520 TU 518
03/04/08 (FICO) EQ 606 EX 599 TU 601
04/24/08 (FICO) EQ 600 EX 580 TU 608
06/02/15 (FICO) EQ 578 EX 561 TU 589
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are a good customer and pay off your balances every month you should see an increase on the card pretty frequently. I started with a 200 credit line then it went up to 350 then 500 where it stayed for a few months, and then i got upgraded to the visa card with a 4500 credit line.
So i dont have any complaints about Target except for the interest rate which is 22%. But I always pay off my balance anyways.

Anyone have any luck talking target down on the interest rate?
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

White, if I may ask, what was the time line of your cli's?
Message 4 of 21
Baybreeze
Valued Member

I just got this pre-approval receipt at Target last weekend, but I didnt open a card yet. I think I'm going to go back this coming weekend and go get it!! The receipt says I have until 10/29 to bring it back to any cashier and accept their card. I am sure I would get $200 as well, but it seems from many people they do increase your CL's and so many are getting upgraded to the Visas.
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Baybreeze wrote:
I just got this pre-approval receipt at Target last weekend, but I didnt open a card yet. I think I'm going to go back this coming weekend and go get it!! The receipt says I have until 10/29 to bring it back to any cashier and accept their card. I am sure I would get $200 as well, but it seems from many people they do increase your CL's and so many are getting upgraded to the Visas.

target is all over the map on the upgrade to the visa, and they are even wonkier on cli's. if you can use the card then grab it, but i wouldn't count on it being an express in for the visa. just the trend i've seen, that being said yep i got one w/a 200 cl as well. good luck!
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I first got a Target Red Card in May of '04.  $200 CL.  Used the card semi frequently, didn't always PIF, but most of the time.  Paid the card off in Feb. of '06, didn't touch it, forgot about it.  In early '07 I decided to call for a CLI.  They said no.  Card continued to sit up until July of this year and they sent me a Target Visa with a $1000 CL.  I don't know why or what triggered it.  That Target Visa is now in my sock drawer, hasn't been used.  Maybe for fun I too will take it to WalMart and use it.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love it Barracuda!  I am a Walmart girl! 

Message 8 of 21
Baybreeze
Valued Member

Well, I just went to Target with my pre-approved receipt (which was good til 10/29), bought $20.00 of stuff and told the cashier I'd like to accept my pre-approved card today. So I do the app process in their register computer, figuring I'm going to get my $200 Store card....but...

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! I got approved for the Target VISA at $4000 credit line!!!!!!!! I'm going to faint! I know it's much to some people, but I had to start over from scratch 4 yrs ago. I  cleaned up my reports and got my FICOs up since then, kept a perfect payment record since then, so I'm so happy I got this. I figured I'd get the store card and hopefully one day get the VISA upgrade that many seem to be getting. I guess I don't have to wait for that now.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok you are banned, 4k on a target visa right out the door! unreal, way to go!

Baybreeze wrote:
Well, I just went to Target with my pre-approved receipt (which was good til 10/29), bought $20.00 of stuff and told the cashier I'd like to accept my pre-approved card today. So I do the app process in their register computer, figuring I'm going to get my $200 Store card....but...

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! I got approved for the Target VISA at $4000 credit line!!!!!!!! I'm going to faint! I know it's much to some people, but I had to start over from scratch 4 yrs ago. I  cleaned up my reports and got my FICOs up since then, kept a perfect payment record since then, so I'm so happy I got this. I figured I'd get the store card and hopefully one day get the VISA upgrade that many seem to be getting. I guess I don't have to wait for that now.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.