Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Credit limit increase

tag
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Credit limit increase

I do shop Target very frequently.  And as OP has now discovered,  you cannot request a CLI. I have noticed they SP my TU report every 3 months.

Opened 2/2016 at $300

CLI 6/2016 to $800

CLI 9/2016 to $1,300

CLI 12/2016 to $2,000

Usage and balances or PIF never seemed to factor *for me*. I have been maxed out ($1,300 to $2,000 cli), I have been PIF, etc. 

Earlier this year I had a TU mistake on my report which has depressed my score for the better part of 3 monhts. I haven't received a CLI since the December one. 

I think they just review you and CLI you as they see fit. I don't think there's a "system" like people want to try to make happen Smiley Very Happy

Kind of how with Synchrony it's all based on your TU score. If you're over 650 you get x amount...at 680 you jump up...at 700+, you jump up some more. And the usage or balances reporting or not...doesn't matter.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 11 of 29
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I called and ask for credit limit increase. CSR said they do not offer credit limit increase anymore but they do review account each month to see if you're qualify for increase. She also said to update my account every month.

I assume you mean update your income on your account. I do that at least once a year.

I would do it more frequently, even if it's the same number.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Themanwho.. Yes that's what I mean.

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive had my card 11 months and this is how I used it.

Opened at $300.

$800 Maybe 3-4 months ago?

$1,100 this month.

I use it about once a month, I always used it to shop, get a bit of a discount and then go pay it immediately. Always spent what I could pay in cash. Last month is the first time I had a balance a bit over $200, I paid $100.

Not sure of their method but this is how it happend for me.

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is good to know, I just got in with Target last month. Started off with a low limit $300. I purchased one thing and PIF before the statement posted. I don't live near a Target, so I won't likely use this card often, maybe during the holidays. 

I got the card in December with the usual $300 limit. I bought something small there every month (typically $5 to $10 worth) and paid in full as soon as the bill dropped. Five months later, I got a letter in the mail congratulating me on my credit limit increase - they bumped it up to $700. I was happy because I had read here on the forum about how it was very difficult to get a credit limit increase from them Smiley Wink 

Message 15 of 29
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Have had my Target REDcard for over 6 years now.

Started at $500 and stayed there until early last year.

Then they increased it to $700, then 3 months later increased it to $1000, 3 more months go by and they bump it to $1300 and about 2 months ago bumped it up again to $1700
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

how long have you had the card. They dont give a cli for at least the first 6 months. Right before your 6th statment increase your income on their website. They will likely give an auto increase. 

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just try to be patient with them, once they start doing their auto increases, they are fairly generous and do them pretty often, in my experience. 

I opened an account with them in Nov 2016. At 6 months they increased to $800, then a third increase to $1300 a few months ago (I can't remember exact dates off top of my head). A few days ago when I logged in they asked me to update my income info. I did, and when my last statement cut yesterday they increased me again to $2000

I do use the card often, sometimes a hundred a month, sometimes substantially more ($5-$600 range), and generally pay in full. I may have rolled a balance once or twice, but only for one billing cycle
My husband has had a similar experience with them, he opened his card at the same time as me. They started him at $500, 6 month increase to $1000, a third increase to $1500, now I am certain when his next statement cuts in a few days it will increase again (same patterns and time frames as mine). 
His card doesn't get used as reguarly as mine, maybe once or twice every few months, and he never carries a balance. 

I know this topic is old, but maybe this will help someone. Btw, hi I'm a new poster, although a longtime reader and member. :-) 

Message 18 of 29
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I called and ask for credit limit increase. CSR said they do not offer credit limit increase anymore but they do review account each month to see if you're qualify for increase. She also said to update my account every month.

My formula is spend, let balance post on statement, update income info, and pay off statement balance, and repeat.   I started at $1K and now have a $4K Target MC.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target card focuses on having a good long term relationship. Started with $500 CL 4 years ago and currently at $9k.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.