Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ThankYou Points Question

tag
Matt9543
Established Contributor

ThankYou Points Question

Hi everyone, I was looking through the ThankYou Point terms and conditions and I found out that "on-demand internet streaming media" count as 2X points. Would that be the case for Netflix and Apple Music? If this is the case then I would put my subscriptions & memberships on this card to get the most out of the points.

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know, I'd appreciate the feedback!

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: ThankYou Points Question

Yes, "entertainment" is pretty wide open with Citi.

You won’t earn 2X Points for purchases made at… sporting camps, public and private golf courses (including membership fees), stores that sell musical instruments, video game arcades, bowling alleys, stores that primarily sell video games/accessories, charitable organizations that provide live entertainment, bookstores, sports complexes where you participate in the sport.

Message 2 of 15
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Sounds like a quick way to earn 2X points then. Thank you!

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 3 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

You won’t earn 2X Points for purchases made at… sporting camps, public and private golf courses (including membership fees), stores that sell musical instruments, video game arcades, bowling alleys, stores that primarily sell video games/accessories, charitable organizations that provide live entertainment, bookstores, sports complexes where you participate in the sport.

I wouldn't call that wide open!

It can be a little arbitrary.

Disneyland admission is entertainment. A gift shop within is not.

Met opera tickets are not entertainment. The Met opera streaming service is entertainment.

I have indeed only gotten 1x on bowling.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 15
Matt9543
Established Contributor

I wish I could get 2X on bowling. I'm literally there all the time. But it is nice to know that just putting monthly streaming fees on it can count as 2X back.

Message 5 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Matt9543 wrote:

I wish I could get 2X on bowling. I'm literally there all the time. But it is nice to know that just putting monthly streaming fees on it can count as 2X back.

And I didn't get 2x on dining with Prestige for pizza and beer within the bowling alley, either. Other bowling alleys may be different, though.

Message 6 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It's all going to depend on how the merchant account codes.  At a recent theme park visit, everything coded as entertainment except for ride photos and the gift shop, both of which oddly coded as Fast Food (but still 2x), while the "fast food" at the restaurants and food trucks coded as entertainment.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Met opera tickets are not entertainment. The Met opera streaming service is entertainment.

Why wouldn't Met Opera tickets be entertainment?   The Premeir is a good card. If I wasn't churning it would be a good card to use as a the single card. When I spent my 3k on it I seemed to earn a ton of points. 

Message 8 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Why wouldn't Met Opera tickets be entertainment?   The Premeir is a good card. If I wasn't churning it would be a good card to use as a the single card. When I spent my 3k on it I seemed to earn a ton of points. 

It codes as a charitable organization.

It's possible to add a charitable contribution on top of the ticket price (and applicable fees) when making a ticket purchase, and it's possible to separately make a charitable contribution to get first dibs on buying seats. That may be part of why the coding is messy. The billing for streaming is a lot simpler.

But the ticket price itself is not a charitable contribution for tax purposes, since the customer is considered to receive something of equal value. Same for streaming. But while streaming does qualify as entertainment to Citi, tickets don't.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My question is why isn't "bowling" considered "entertainment," when it clearly is. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.