Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The APR Game

tag
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

Re: The APR Game

A few weeks ago I tried calling into USAA to get my platinum mastercard APR decreased from 12.9% to something lower. They said they were unable to do so, Im thinking maybe because I havent had the account for 6 months yet that they are hessitant. Though I find it annoying regardless because I have another card through them along with a checking and savings account.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gh17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My lowest APR card is a fixed 0% plus prime currently at 3.25%. It's fixed in the sense it will only move if prime moves. 10k limit also. BOA Plat Visa from years ago.

Is there an annual fee?  I saw one like this once but it wasn't free.  But I know this used to be more common.

Good deal though... I mean you could make minimum payments and invest some of that money instead and would probably profit (although obviously risky).  Or pay off something like student loans or a card loan early depending on the rate.

No annual fee. 0 BT transfer fees also but I don't carry CC balance so I haven't used it.

Message 12 of 16
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Amex, Disocver, and Citi seems to lower interest rates upon request every 6-12 months

Message 13 of 16
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

13.99% Sallie Mae

13.99% Citi

19.80% Cap1

22.99% Chase

I think APR is more important then CLIs which is why I don't open a ton of garbage.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 14 of 16
Chris679
Established Contributor

For me Discover and BoA have been the most generous with lowering the APRs. Both of my Citi cards have my lowest APRs but they were pretty low to begin with. Amex dropped it a little bit but gave me a promo of around 7% for like 9 months maybe. Cap One will only do a temporary reduction from 20% to like 18% and Chase will not play ball at all.
Message 15 of 16
Duffenbrau
Valued Member

Thank you for the responses everyone! There is a lot of good feedback in here. I'll try and work Discover,Cap1,and my CU cards over the next year.

MSUFCU $5K| CASECU $2K| Discover it $1.5K| QuicksilverOne $2.5K(x2)| Playstation Visa $750| US Bank Flexperks Select $2.5K| Barclay Rewards $2.5K| Home Depot $2.7K| Best Buy $1.5K| Walmart $1.3K| Amazon $2.7K| PayPalSC $800| Target $800
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.