Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The proper way to ask

tag
writerstale
Contributor

The proper way to ask

Let's say I get approved for a Cap One Quicksilver card for a 2k CL what's the right way to ask for a higher 3-4k cl? I only want the 3-4k limit to have a higher 30 percent spending limit.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Re: The proper way to ask

@writerstale wrote:

Let's say I get approved for a Cap One Quicksilver card for a 2k CL what's the right way to ask for a higher 3-4k cl? I only want the 3-4k limit to have a higher 30 percent spending limit.

Call right away to recon.  If no luck dealing with the front line CSR, you could try to EO route.  But Cap One is a tough nut to crack.  I was stuck on a $500 CL with Cap One (since 1999!!!) until I contacted EO in January via Facebook and was able to get it bumped up to a modest but respectable $2000CL.

In general, most companies want to see some history (6 months?) before they grant CLIs.

Message 2 of 20
writerstale
Contributor

Greatly appreciative of the info! What's a credit card company that's less of a tough nut to deal with when it comes to asking for CLI's?

Message 3 of 20
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I'm a year into CapOne and have a pending CLI (we'll see) after I did a Facebook contact on Friday.

Started with a $1000 card... CLI to $1500 after 6 months and was denied a CLI on Thur for not enough card usage and too many inquiries.

I guess 1 inquiry in 6 months and $75 a month usage and PIF after carrying a $900 balance the first 3 months I had the card isn't enough.

Waiting to here back from them.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 20
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

BTW if you already have good credit, I would bypass Capital One all together and go with one of the other "prime" lenders.  Although they offer decent credit products, their market seems more geared towards to the no credit/rebuilding credit crowd.  Nothing wrong with that, but they can be a little frustrating to deal with when your credit actually becomes pretty good.  

They are my oldest TL by a mile (15 years)...so like an old, bitter married couple, Cap One and I are kind of stuck with each other for life Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 20
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

BTW if you already have good credit, I would bypass Capital One all together and go with one of the other "prime" lenders.  Although they offer decent credit products, their market seems more geared towards to the no credit/rebuilding credit crowd.  Nothing wrong with that, but they can be a little frustrating to deal with when your credit actually becomes pretty good.  

They are my oldest TL by a mile (15 years)...so like an old, bitter married couple, Cap One and I are kind of stuck with each other for life Smiley Wink

Yeah as said I'm a year into CapOne on first card... 9 months into second card.

If I don't see additional CLI love I will be closing both accounts at the 2 year mark.  I could get by without them now... but the $2250 is nice for UTIL.

I'm a year out Of Ch 13 and they've served their purpose... But will keep them open 2 years for Max FICO benefit.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 20
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@writerstale wrote:

Greatly appreciative of the info! What's a credit card company that's less of a tough nut to deal with when it comes to asking for CLI's?

Depends on your credit history, scores, etc.  But AMEX is really great with CLIs (3x CLI at 61 days and it's a soft pull).  Bank of America is also known to be very generous, although that tends to be a hard pull.  GE Bank will consider CLIs after every 4th statement.

Message 7 of 20
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Dw4250 said:

Call right away to recon.  If no luck dealing with the front line CSR, you could try to EO route.  But Cap One is a tough nut to crack.  I was stuck on a $500 CL with Cap One (since 1999!!!) until I contacted EO in January via Facebook and was able to get it bumped up to a modest but respectable $2000CL.

In general, most companies want to see some history (6 months?) before they grant CLIs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1 

/thread

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 8 of 20
writerstale
Contributor

Thank you all for this vital infomormation! Greatly appreciative! How does one go about contacting the Cap One EO?

Message 9 of 20
dize
Regular Contributor

I have 2 quicksilver cards right now, one was a PC from a platinum that I've had since 2010. I just got the credit limit bumped from 500 to 750...the other is the credit steps card with a 500cl. I called the Eo the other day requesting a CLI on the card that was PC'd, as I have already made 10 payments in this statement period between the 2 cards, and I still have a couple more planned. I requested a CLI to $5000, but I would be more than happy with $2000. I should find out by tuesday or wednesday what the result was, if not sooner. I can chime back in and let you guys know how it turned out. The guy I spoke to was very nice and helpful. I'm hoping for a postiive outcome.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.