cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The siren song of solid prequal offers...

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

The siren song of solid prequal offers...

...for cards you have no use for.

I just checked my prequalified offers with US Bank, and they were offering me the Cash+ with a 14.99% APR. I also received a prequal offer in the mail for the Wells Fargo CB Visa Signature with a 10.99% APR. I was briefly tempted to app for both of them, but I quickly realized I have no use for either one. The WF Visa is a gorgeous card, but after 6 months the wagon turns into a pumpkin.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: The siren song of solid prequal offers...

I just checked my US Bank offers and it was scary. Always is, nothing new there.

They offer me the same card, FlexPerks Select+ that they recently PC from the plain jane 1% cash rewards AND the other offer is a return back to a plain ole starter card, the platinum. Pfffftttttt

Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Besides OP, that would totally upset the cosmic order for your perfect balance between Visas and MasterCards. And, sorry, neither of those are WMC.
Message 3 of 9
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Finstar: I was this close to undoing the harmonic convergence of 1987. Good thing I held back. Whew!

Message 4 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

Hmmm. Interesting.

No use for 5% on fast food dining? No use for Department stores at 5% when you want them to be so? Cellphones and home landline at 5% if you want? Sporting goods stores 5%? Electronics stores 5%? Bookstores (Amazon is a bookstore) at 5%?

Now, I grant you, you can't have all of these all at once. But you do get to choose which two you want for the quarter, and things like electronics generally you can plan for.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 9
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

I'm not a big spender at all. I already have an Ink Cash for my cell phone bill. Most of my dining out is 53-cent coffee I get at a supermarket cafeteria (I use my Discover debit card for that, which gives me 10 cents per swipe). I rarely buy myself anything. I just don't like spending money on non-essential things. I had massive credit card debt after my divorce. That pretty much killed my interest in spending money and women.

Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Understandable, so no more interest in spending $$$? And, if no more interest in ladies or the opposite sex, how about guys? LOL... j/k Smiley Tongue

I don't think I recall reading your thoughts for the BOA (non-cobranded) WMC. Well, technically originates as VS but can be PCd to WMC and report as a Flexible Spending tradeline.
Message 7 of 9
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Hehehe. I'm still attracted to women, I just have no interest in getting involved with one. The only female worth spending my money on is my daughter.

As for the BofA CR, it'd be nice to have a non-cobranded MC with 3% on gas. The only problem with that card is its lack of earning potential. I think I'd be better off with a BBR. I'm kind of intrigued by the CashForward, to be honest.

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Gotcha. The only thing with the BBR is that it doesn't get issued as a WMC, unfortunately. But the earning potential for low maintenance usage is there.

I know you're probably no fan of CUs, yet there's First Tech FCU which has two cards worth looking into if they fit your needs - Odyssey Rewards WEMC ($75 AF) or their Choice Rewards WMC.

https://firsttechfed.secure.force.com/HelpCenter/Credit_Card_Calculator?display=comparison#
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.