cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Merrick or not to Merrick? That is the question...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Merrick or not to Merrick? That is the question...

Just received a pre-approval for Merrick $600 Double Your Line, but I thinkI should pass, as it has a high APR than other offers & an AF of $72. I’ve heard of the offers getting better the longer you hold out, all the way to $1250 SL with no AF. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
padme
Established Contributor

Re: To Merrick or not to Merrick? That is the question...

Hmmm, based on ur cards, you dont need one of those, besides the AF, what would you gain? a measley 1k limit>?

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m only an AU on the Costco & Sams Club cards, & my Cap1 P is restricted... so if I were to get the $1250 SL/ no AF I would probably bite, but my scores just jumped into the 620 zone & should be closer to 640 at the start of the month once my CRs show my balances at $0 on my other cards, so I’m hoping I will be closer to getting some pre-quals for some big boy cards soon... =/

Message 3 of 15
padme
Established Contributor

At this point, if i were you, i would just try for prime cards, maybe a SCT type one also. Just use the prequal sites for the banks. Discover seems friendly lately.

Message 4 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If you expect some kind of score jump, I'd wait till that happens.
Check prequal pages and see if anything new shows up at that time.
Message 5 of 15
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

What's a Merrick lol?
Message 6 of 15
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
What's a Merrick lol?

Merrick Bank offers a subprime rebuilder card..

It's better than some of the predatory cards out there.. 

cheersgif.gif

Message 7 of 15
3se7ens
Frequent Contributor

I say go for it. I did and started with a $700 CL, and at exactly 7 mo. they increased it to $1400.
Recently at 11 mo. I received another CLI , and now it stands at $1600. Now that is actually
better than what I experienced with Discover. Oh and there's no annual fee. Smiley Wink  Good luck.

As of 3/2022

EQ.-721  |  TU.-731  |  EX.-708

Top Cards:

AmEx Gold - $10,000 POT. BofA Americard $17,000 NFCU CR. $16,000 NFCU Plat.$15,000 FNBO Visa $14,800

Disco Miles $14,000 Chase FU $13,900 USAA Signature $13,000  PayPal MC $10,000 

Macy's AmEx $25,000 Macy's AmEx (upgraded) $25,000

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@3se7ens wrote:

I say go for it. I did and started with a $700 CL, and at exactly 7 mo. they increased it to $1400.
Recently at 11 mo. I received another CLI , and now it stands at $1600. Now that is actually
better than what I experienced with Discover. Oh and there's no annual fee. Smiley Wink  Good luck.

See, the offer I got has a $72 AF. If I do pull the trigger I would wait until I received a no AF offer...

Message 9 of 15
3se7ens
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@3se7ens wrote:

See, the offer I got has a $72 AF. If I do pull the trigger I would wait until I received a no AF offer...

$72 AF?? Ouch! You're right, definitely wait for a better offer.

As of 3/2022

EQ.-721  |  TU.-731  |  EX.-708

Top Cards:

AmEx Gold - $10,000 POT. BofA Americard $17,000 NFCU CR. $16,000 NFCU Plat.$15,000 FNBO Visa $14,800

Disco Miles $14,000 Chase FU $13,900 USAA Signature $13,000  PayPal MC $10,000 

Macy's AmEx $25,000 Macy's AmEx (upgraded) $25,000

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.