tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Top 5 cards to have?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@

BoA’s prequalification site is well known for not being accurate. I wouldn’t trust it. 

This.  BoA `prequals` through the portal and their mailers that don't have explicit opt-out language are not real prequals.   

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for helping me out choose the best cards to have for my needs. In the last few days, after opening this post, i applied for a few cards and I got approved for these three cards.

Citi - Double Cash - Score 653 - FICO8 Experian Data - Limit 5000 USD

Costco - Citi Visa Card - Score 653 - FICO8 Experian Data - Limit 4000 USD

Wells Fargo Propel - AMEX - Score 653 - FICO8 Experian Data - Limit - 5000 USD

I got carried away by the BOA pre-approval mails, and applied online for BOA Premium Rewards and got denied.. buggers. In spite of the members here asked me not to do so. My bad, I will be more cognizant now. I wonder if I had applied for the common BOA card, the Cash Rewards card, and that would get approved?

I got the Wells Fargo propel for phone insurance.. I am used to spending monthly fees with verizon for phone insurance which adds up 15 bucks each month. Hence got this one.

Costco Visa card because I am a costco member and we shop quite a lot from there.

Citi Double Cash, mainly because its an everyday card, and a lot of members recommended it here.

I wont be applying for new cards for atleast 6 months now. But i dont think i need anything else for a while.. as Chase would not approve me due to my EWS record with them (Which is cleared and fully paid).

I would love to get a great Travel card after some time, please do recommend me something for that... i will apply for it at a later time when my score nears 700'ish.

For now I have these cards in my wallet.

AMEX Gold

Citi Double Cash

Costco Citi Visa

Wells Fargo Propel

Capital One Platinum

Discover IT (Secured Card, the one that helped me get to better scores).

Message 22 of 24
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would love to get a great Travel card after some time, please do recommend me something for that... i will apply for it at a later time when my score nears 700'ish.

You make 1 international and 2 domestic trips per year, you book flights primarily based upon price.  You already hold a Propel and an AMEX Gold so you already have cards with some travel benefits.  Airline cards, which are tied to a specific airline, aren't going to be a good fit.

Given that BoA and Chase are unlikely options in the near term I would suggest you create yourself an Uber account and download the app (even if you don't use Uber), garden for 6 months, then apply for the Uber Visa.  Since it is a Visa with no AF and no FTF its a useful card for travel,  including foreign travel, with 4% cashback on dining and 3% on hotels and airfare.    Visa acceptance is also nearly ubiquitous internationally, whereas AMEX can be more spotty especially if you venture outside of areas frequented by business travelers or tourists.

When you get a stronger profile and if your travel patterns warrant it IMO you can look at some of the travel cards with an AF. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 23 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for updating your results and congrats on the 3 approvals @Anonymous.

Locking this thread as you have been approved. Feel free to start a new approval thread in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so.
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.