cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tossing Citi Secured cc idea around. **UPDATE**

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tossing the Citi Secured cc idea around...thoughts?

I also understand what you are doing. I say if you want to do it, go for it. It sounds like you are leaning that way now. Competely your call...

Message 11 of 46
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Hey Pizza1!

I've read quite a few of your threads, and I think I have a 'feel' for your situation.  That being said, if you have the extra cash to 'stash' away and want to see what will happen, I say 'go for it'.  Smiley Wink

Here's my thinking - if memory serves me correctly you already have quite a few inquiries so one more isn't likely to make a noticeable difference.  I also recall you having quite a few accounts opened the last few years, so this is unlikely to make a large impact on your AAoA, either. 

As long as you aren't too disappointed if it doesn't work out the way you're hoping, I don't really see a down-side.  Worst-case scenario you tie up a little money for a while, best case scenario you get a head-start on a relationship with Citi.

I know opinions will be varied, but for what it's worth that's mine.  Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Hey Pizza1!

I've read quite a few of your threads, and I think I have a 'feel' for your situation.  That being said, if you have the extra cash to 'stash' away and want to see what will happen, I say 'go for it'.  Smiley Wink

Here's my thinking - if memory serves me correctly you already have quite a few inquiries so one more isn't likely to make a noticeable difference.  I also recall you having quite a few accounts opened the last few years, so this is unlikely to make a large impact on your AAoA, either. 

As long as you aren't too disappointed if it doesn't work out the way you're hoping, I don't really see a down-side.  Worst-case scenario you tie up a little money for a while, best case scenario you get a head-start on a relationship with Citi.

I know opinions will be varied, but for what it's worth that's mine.  Smiley Wink

UncleB said what I was trying to say.Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking of doing this exact same thing since they came out with the secured product.  I burned them for quite a bit on my ch7 on a Citi hilton honors (or something like that) card.  I've decided that there's other lenders to try and tackle (I'm looking at you Chase).  I'm also not a big fan of giving someone money, let them earn money off of it and then also charge me an annual fee.  I'd rather my money work for me, instead of for someone else.

Good luck with your decision, especially if Citi is on your long term horizon.  Do they guarantee graduation or is it by review - just curious?

Message 14 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recall you doing the same with BofA secured not long ago. If getting back in with Citi is on your bucket list then there's no reason not to shave a few yrs off the process. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 46
ttleigh
Regular Contributor

Hmm... I've been tossing this idea around too. I burned citi in my ch 13(filed 09, discharged 2014). The first Citicard I applied for I was denied for Bk and it mentioned my old account. When my bk dropped of my reports earlier this year I applied with them and was denied for too many inquiries and new accounts but no mention of my history. That gave me hope that maybe I am close without needing to try the secured card. But I really want that Costco card bad!!! So I was actually just starting to think about the secured card route again. I wonder though if 1) is it guaranteed to graduate? 2) even if it does will it help me get another card or will it PC to a Costco.
3) how will we know whether it's like an actual Citicard or if it's just like a bestbuy?

Good luck, keep us posted
Message 16 of 46
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Hmmm.  I think that I am going to respectfully disagree with some well thought out intelligent replies.

Of course, it's up to you, pizza, but I would choose to pass.

Opening a secured CC account is the equivalent of paying a bank interest to use the money that you are ASKING them to borrow from you for free.  Wait, not free... you are paying THEM to allow you to use the dollars that you have PAID to them.

I understand that secured CC's have their place and can be an awesome rebuilding tool for those who need them.

You don't.

You've got plenty of available credit with other lenders.

If rebuilding your relationship with Citi is worth X dollars to you, then go right ahead, and I truly wish you the best....  No lender is worth that for me.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 17 of 46
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Everyone, thank you for thoughts regarding this. I decided to go ahead and apply, and will let everyone know the outcome. Secured card apps always go to "further review or further processing", which is where I am currently, but BD# guy said an hour after my app, it was already processed, just waiting for funds to clear. I unfroze EX for the pull, and trust me....one more INQ is NOT gonna hurt me, LOL, or another new acct for that matter.

But, regardless, Im not approved till I get the email and my app status online says approved, lol. Wont take his word it just yet.

I know a few of you don't understand really why Id want a fully secured card at this stage in my rebuild with all the cards and available credit I have, but if it means a legacy card at 4 1/2 yrs post BK vs 7yrs, (which is their norm for BK peeps), Im gonna try, lol! Smiley Wink If it graduates at 18 mo, Ill then be 4 1/2 yrs post BK.

I only tied up $300, no big deal. If it graduates in 18 months, great! I have a legacy card at 4 1/2 yrs post BK. If it doesnt graduate, then no harm done, and I close it, get my money back, and move on. But Im willing to try and defy the odds! Smiley Wink

Of course if its approved, I will naturally try to get it unsecured sooner, lol. Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 46
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I would not apply.

It is just another inquiry.

I would grow what you have, which doesnt look bad considering. And let the BK become history.

After the BK is gone then try for a prime citi card, by then you have more positive history with what you have already.

Also work on anything bad other than the bk in the mean time. 

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 19 of 46
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I recall you doing the same with BofA secured not long ago. If getting back in with Citi is on your bucket list then there's no reason not to shave a few yrs off the process. Smiley Happy

Yes youre right NTL...Except with BOFA, they were NOT IIB, and ive never had any relationship with them whatsoever. I applied for the cash rewards card, and they instantly countered the 99/500 offer, so I snatched it up.  That card will graduate 5mo-1yr, and my 5 mo is next month Smiley Wink....we will see what happens. They were/are another major lender I wanted in with, knowing the card will grow nicely over time. So, this one was partially secured. 

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.