cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Credit limits between cards?

tag
phrza81
Valued Member

Transferring Credit limits between cards?

Hi all,

So I heard that it was possible to transfer "x" amount of credit limits from one card to anther as long as its within the same bank.

Is this true? If so, has anyone accomplished this before? 

5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Transferring Credit limits between cards?

It's possible, but it just depends on the lender.  Not all allow CL reallocations.

Message 2 of 6
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

It depends on the bank.  Chase and Amex make it easy to do online.  I've done it with Discover on the phone.  I don't think Citi allows it.

At least that's been my experience.

Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@frugal47374 wrote:

It depends on the bank.  Chase and Amex make it easy to do online.  I've done it with Discover on the phone.  I don't think Citi allows it.

At least that's been my experience.

Discover typically allows it only when a CLI option is available.  Citi also allows this, but there are a few caveats to it + engaging the appropriate area.

Message 4 of 6
noobody
Established Contributor

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase and Amex are very easy, as mentioned above...

I just did it myself with both lenders last month, as I have two cards from each. I gave the cards I use more higher limits for utilization reasons, but I still kept 5k and 4k on the donor cards so they aren't too low. My Chase FU is a signature card so I wanted to keep it at 5k.

I don't know what your situation is or what bank you had in mind, just my experience with CL reallocation.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.