tag

Re: Trying to get AMEX APPROVAL

@bigseegar wrote:

@Ladymajestic2000 wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@Ladymajestic2000 wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

How many cards do you have now? Score is a bit low for them. Your age doesnt really matter. Its your credit profile age that matters. You already got back the most points you could with the last 30 day once it passed 2 yrs. Once those collections are toast. Report back what your scores are then. List out all accounts in the meantime.

And. Upgrade your Plat to the QS here:https://www.capitalone.com/?external_id=%2Fproductupgrade 

Link won't work... found this a while back and saved it.

To upgrade from one Capital One account... go to this link: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-one-upgrade-link-not-working-anymore/td-p/6228...

Reference Message 7 in that thread. I've used it twice. Once to take a Platinum card to a QS card... and now contemplating whether to go to a Venture One card or not.

Will it be a hard inquiry if I upgrade ? 

No- when you go to upgrade, it will tell you it won't affect credit score...

I guess my questions are.. if I upgrade, will it completely take away my platinum or will I have 2 cc now? 2. Will it affect me from getting an AMEX Gold card if I apply next month ? 

No you would not have 2 cards. They would simply upgrade your existing card is all. Even the account number and CL would stay the same. Only the product name would change. But given all the lates you have with them it may be a 50/50 shot at an upgrade at best. 

Also if you were denied just a few months ago for the AmEx nothing has really changed for approval now for you. Also you do realize that the Gold Card is a CHARGE card that with a few exceptions  relating POT eligible charges has to be PIF each month and not a Credit card, right?

Got ya & well I was denied due to high revolving usage and recent derogs which my revolving is now at 1% now and my 2 collections are about to be deleted.

also, so what card should I get ? I applied for blue everyday cash card by them

Message 21 of 34
Thanos316
Established Member

I have 2 collections on my credit report, and just got approved for an Amex card.  

But my scores are in the low 700's.  👍

Message 22 of 34

@Thanos316 wrote:

I have 2 collections on my credit report, and just got approved for an Amex card.  

But my scores are in the low 700's.  👍

How old are they though? Usually if they're 24+ months old, they won't mind. The first collection is from 2019 and the second collection hit my credit back in October 2021 which is when I applied for AMEX.

Message 23 of 34
Thanos316
Established Member

Ah ok. 

My first one is from 2016. 

The second one is from this year actually, few months ago, so pretty recent. 

Message 24 of 34

@Thanos316 wrote:

Ah ok. 

My first one is from 2016. 

The second one is from this year actually, few months ago, so pretty recent. 

Yeah they wrote on my denial letter it was due to recent derogatory account aka my collection & high revolving account utilization and length of time my accounts have been established which is weird because my credit card is almost 4 years old .... but yep. I had applied a week or 2 after that collection hit my report 

Message 25 of 34
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Ladymajestic2000 wrote:

@bigseegar wrote:

@Ladymajestic2000 wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@Ladymajestic2000 wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

How many cards do you have now? Score is a bit low for them. Your age doesnt really matter. Its your credit profile age that matters. You already got back the most points you could with the last 30 day once it passed 2 yrs. Once those collections are toast. Report back what your scores are then. List out all accounts in the meantime.

And. Upgrade your Plat to the QS here:https://www.capitalone.com/?external_id=%2Fproductupgrade 

To upgrade from one Capital One account... go to this link: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-one-upgrade-link-not-working-anymore/td-p/6228...

Reference Message 7 in that thread. I've used it twice. Once to take a Platinum card to a QS card... and now contemplating whether to go to a Venture One card or not.

I guess my questions are.. if I upgrade, will it completely take away my platinum or will I have 2 cc now? 2. Will it affect me from getting an AMEX Gold card if I apply next month ? 

No you would not have 2 cards. They would simply upgrade your existing card is all. Even the account number and CL would stay the same. Only the product name would change. But given all the lates you have with them it may be a 50/50 shot at an upgrade at best. 

Also if you were denied just a few months ago for the AmEx nothing has really changed for approval now for you. Also you do realize that the Gold Card is a CHARGE card that with a few exceptions  relating POT eligible charges has to be PIF each month and not a Credit card, right?

Got ya & well I was denied due to high revolving usage and recent derogs which my revolving is now at 1% now and my 2 collections are about to be deleted.

also, so what card should I get ? I applied for blue everyday cash card by them

Their core cards require a score nearer 700 with cleaner profile. If you're borderline they may soft or hard pull TU also. That would be the dealbreaker. 

Message 26 of 34
disney2
Regular Contributor

Use the prequalify page for AMEX instead of cold apping.  That way you'll know if you can do it without having a hard pull.  You can do it any time so check it out.  

Also, I tried the Capital One product change trick and got a blank page every time.  No idea why though.

Message 27 of 34

@disney2 wrote:

Use the prequalify page for AMEX instead of cold apping.  That way you'll know if you can do it without having a hard pull.  You can do it any time so check it out.  

Also, I tried the Capital One product change trick and got a blank page every time.  No idea why though.

Thank you, I just did that. Yeah, looks like I have to wait until those collection clear up big time! Once they do though, I'll try doing the prequalify again. As of now, they said they had no offers for me to prequalify on. 

Message 28 of 34
DarkKnight_Credit
New Contributor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@Ladymajestic2000 wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@Ladymajestic2000 wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

If you upgrade, you're effectively product changing. So yes, your Platinum card will be changed from a Platinum to whatever card you upgrade to. You won't have two cards, but one.

As for the AMEX question- there's too many variances to that to answer, so unfortunately, I don't know.

Even though you're product changing after the upgrade, would this effect your AAoA, because the old card is replaced with a new card?

My credit cards:

Starting Score 08/2021: 
Current Score: 
Message 29 of 34
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@DarkKnight_Credit wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

@Ladymajestic2000 wrote:

If you upgrade, you're effectively product changing. So yes, your Platinum card will be changed from a Platinum to whatever card you upgrade to. You won't have two cards, but one.

As for the AMEX question- there's too many variances to that to answer, so unfortunately, I don't know.

Even though you're product changing after the upgrade, would this effect your AAoA, because the old card is replaced with a new card?

No. AAoA is not impacted because a new origination or tradeline is not being reported. The CRAs will reflect the updated numeric account value, but the history is retained as this isn't considered applying for a new CC. AENB is simply switching the product. The same applies if going in reverse where the product is downgraded.

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.