Did you mean: 

Two new credit cards

tag
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

Re: Two new credit cards

@Citylights18 wrote:

@ficofido1414 wrote:

the reason i was thinking BOA for two cards was them using the same hard pull for the 2nd card from what i have read on here, if that were the case would they not do the same  for a cli ?  exposure wise i am at 10 open  revolvers with a total limit of 74k and current balances of  about 3600 spread over 3 cards but i pay in full every month never carry a balance ever highest limit card is chase @ 15k  pnc and wells @ 10.5k each a care credit @ 13300 discover @6500  a couple amex credit cards @ 5k each 1 harge  npsl 7500 pot and two other sync cards @ 6k & 2500 how do you think it would play out @ BOA or should I maybe do 1 BOA card with a us bank/elan or CITI card

I think the BOA rule is no SL greater than 1/2 your income which for you potentially could be a 30k limit.

3% cash back for online shopping is nice. I have an upcoming project and could take advantage of that plus the 15 month no APR BT.

I'm not sure a second BOA card to take advantage of a hard pull is the right move. I wouldn't do it but I'm mainly in it for the promotional APR periods so two cards for me would overlap. I did that before with a Discover and a Citi Rewards+ and ended up not using the Citi Rewards+ for the APR period.

I tend to agree with @Citylights18  about using the hp for 2 cards if you're not going to end up taking advantage of the promotional APR s. If you have a real need for 2 BOA cards, then by all means, go for it. I was able to obtain 2 cards with 1 hp a year ago but I used both for the promotional APRs and am still using them. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $211, 000 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $40.5K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 21.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $39.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Preferred SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 11 of 15
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Agree with @mgood.   Most of the recent CCC approvals have a  SL of $5500  (+ / - $2000).   The only one I have noted above $10,000 has been @ptatohed.

@mgood wrote:

@ficofido1414 wrote:
Looking for . . .
* higher starting limits of 10k+. . . .

. . . or 1 BOA card with 1 from either CITI custom cash or us bank / elan cash plus. . . .

US Bank is not known for high SLs. I got a $2k SL on my Cash+, which was way below the CLs of my other cards at the time. Lots of people with credit profiles very similar to mine got $500 SLs. They can grow over time, but if it's your first time dealing with USB, don't expect a high limit. I don't know about Elan, but they are owned by US Bank. I've heard they might be a little easier to get approved for, but I haven't heard of any significant differences in starting limits.

I'm not sure Citi is all that strong in SLs either.

Some CUs tend to have higher SLs. PenFed is the only one I have experience with and you can get multiple cards with one HP at PenFed.

Message 12 of 15
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Agree with @mgood.   Most of the recent CCC approvals have a  SL of $5500  (+ / - $2000).   The only one I have noted above $10,000 has been @ptatohed.

@mgood wrote:

@ficofido1414 wrote:
Looking for . . .

. . . or 1 BOA card with 1 from either CITI custom cash or us bank / elan cash plus. . . .

US Bank is not known for high SLs. I got a $2k SL on my Cash+, which was way below the CLs of my other cards at the time. Lots of people with credit profiles very similar to mine got $500 SLs. They can grow over time, but if it's your first time dealing with USB, don't expect a high limit. I don't know about Elan, but they are owned by US Bank. I've heard they might be a little easier to get approved for, but I haven't heard of any significant differences in starting limits.

Some CUs tend to have higher SLs. PenFed is the only one I have experience with and you can get multiple cards with one HP at PenFed.

The one I have had in my name (wife as AU) for a while now is $11,600.  Never asked for a CLI.  The one we just got in my wife's name (I as AU) is also $11,600.  

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Second-citi-Custom-Cash-card/m-p/6709003  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 13 of 15
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@mgood wrote:

@ficofido1414 wrote:
Looking for . . .

I got a US Bank card, a Visa Signature card, with a $500 starting limit, I found this amusing as I was getting $10,000 limits from others at about that time.  I applied later for another card from them and got a $7000 limit, but the limit on the other card is still $500.  I guess I should use the card more.....  I think I just set it up to get 5% on utility bills....   

Yeah, they are a bit tough on some with low limits, but they will actually raise the limit if you use the card and pay it off.  I think they prefer you to PIF each month.  

I just went through all my cards and set the categories, so that I can now enjoy 5% on almost everything!  Thanks Citi Custom Cash, US Bank Cash+, Sam's club, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, etc.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 14 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

@ficofido1414 

Considering you have not applied for anything in a long time it looks like, you might actually be able to get a citi card with a solid 10k approval SL.

DEFINITELY consider Citi. Also, you NEED to ask Amex for credit limit increases. They will do it with only a sp and increase it up to 3xcli. That may even give you an idea of what lenders will think of your total credit lines vs income currently. 

pick your fav boa & citi card an go for it. Do the Citi card FIRST though. It looks liek they cant even TRY to deny you for even ONE inquiry lol

on the boa thing I cant remember, I think I opened the custom rewards card or whatever it was, and I'm fairly certain they made me take a HP to CLI (I honestly cant remember but I'm like 90% sure they did.)
One thing I love about boa is their algorithm seems to always know exactly down to the date of when you have a 0% BT expiring with them and they send me checks in the mail so they indirectly allow me to refinance debt with them cause I just take those checks deposit one into my account, its cash, and then I pay off their own card. And I mean.. I literally get mailers from them with offers for like 2.9% 14 months no BT fee or 0% with a fee for 15 mos or something like that usually in the same month I have another BT expiring. I still don't know how they do this. lol
but boa WILL match your highest limit esp since it looks like yours is from a very prime lender (pnc or disc)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.