Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: Cap1 and HSBC converted cards

tag
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

UPDATE: Cap1 and HSBC converted cards

I have an old 2010 account from HSBC that converted to CAP1 and is now a QS1 card with an annual fee of $59 (fee came with the card but Cap1 has been nice and has been waiving it). 

I just tried combing it with my QS card was told they cannot combine a Cap1 product with a HSBC product. Am I missing here? Cap1 acquired HSBC therefore, the account is a CAP1 account and should be treated as such. No? BTW, I did this via chat. Should I be calling instead?

Also (very important) it is my oldest open account. If I can work my magic and get CAP1 to combine. Will I keep it's opening date and apr? I want to combine it with my QS card which is a little over a year old and has a 23.15% apr with no annual fee. Thanks!!

Opened: Nov. 26, 2010

Platinum MasterCard

Membership Fees:

$59.00 per year

Purchase APR:
15.15%

Credit Line:
$2,500.00

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap1 and HSBC converted cards

Speaking to a CSR will likely not make a difference.  It's either the accounts are eligible to be combined or not.  Individuals have provided successful anecdotes in combining previous non-Capital One products (HSBC/Orchard) without issues while others have not been as successful.  You could either keep waiting for a while or decide at some point what the best avenue will be for the card.  Perhaps at some point you can try converting from QS1 > QS and *maybe* this will open the doors to combining the accounts.

You can read more about those experiences (granted it's a lengthy read but it's there for a reason and provides a wealth of experiences):

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Card-Consolidation/td-p/4113430

ETA - if the system eventually allows a combo of your HSBC/QS1 card into QS - you will not preserve the open date of the account once combined.  The HSBC/QS1 will be closed and the QS will be the account that retains its open date (i.e. will not backdate).

Message 2 of 30
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Speaking to a CSR will likely not make a difference.  It's either the accounts are eligible to be combined or not.  Individuals have provided successful anecdotes in combining previous non-Capital One products (HSBC/Orchard) without issues while others have not been as successful.  You could either keep waiting for a while or decide at some point what the best avenue will be for the card.  Perhaps at some point you can try converting from QS1 > QS and *maybe* this will open the doors to combining the accounts.

You can read more about those experiences (granted it's a lengthy read but it's there for a reason and provides a wealth of experiences):

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Card-Consolidation/td-p/4113430

ETA - if the system eventually allows a combo of your HSBC/QS1 card into QS - you will not preserve the open date of the account once combined.  The HSBC/QS1 will be closed and the QS will be the account that retains its open date (i.e. will not backdate).

Eeeeeeekk...well I'm going to try for the QS conversion whem it's eligible. I'll hold on to it for now since it's my oldest open account. Thanks so much!

TCL= $172,800
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@DoroLucky wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Eeeeeeekk...well I'm going to try for the QS conversion whem it's eligible. I'll hold on to it for now since it's my oldest open account. Thanks so much!

I would recommend converting the QS1 to QS when that opportunity is available.  This way, no more AF.  And, while you can end up with 2 QS cards, you are not losing on rewards.  What APR do you currently have on QS1? And what about on the QS card?  I can see wanting to keep the oldest account open, but there might be a better strategy down the road.

Message 4 of 30
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

QS1 apr 15.15% and QS 23.15%
TCL= $172,800

Message 5 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@DoroLucky wrote:
QS1 apr 15.15% and QS 23.15%

Here's what you can do - if it's been >6 months when you last converted to QS1 (or if the product yielded the QS1 as a result of the HSBC/Capital One conversion), then you can try and see if they can PC from QS1 > QS.   I believe you may need to wait for a bit to combine them to make sure the changes take effect with your profile. 

Then, check the account combination link to determine if the system allows it to be processed.  Combine the newer QS with the higher APR into your low APR QS and this way you can preserve the oldest date with the lower APR.

Message 6 of 30
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

You're a genius! Hahaha I did not think of that. I will do just that in due time. Don't think it's been 6 months since the last product change to QS1. I have a balance on my QS card anyway and I can't combine it now if I wanted to. I did try for a product change last week and the QS1 wasn't eligible.
TCL= $172,800

Message 7 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@DoroLucky wrote:
You're a genius! Hahaha I did not think of that. I will do just that in due time. Don't think it's been 6 months since the last product change to QS1. I have a balance on my QS card anyway and I can't combine it now if I wanted to. I did try for a product change last week and the QS1 wasn't eligible.

Just passing along the knowledge Smiley Wink

So, it sounds like it's just a matter of time since I believe the system restricts any PCs to 6 months.  But yes, if you can successfully get the QS1 PC'd to QS, then you can work your magic afterwards.  Make sure balances are clear, and if you have some rewards balance, combine the rewards first.  If the system doesn't allow the combination of the rewards (I think this was restricted until further notice), then just redeem them for the account that will be closed and then proceed with the account combo.

Message 8 of 30
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

THANK YOU!!! Last year I wanted to combine rewards and was told, they will resume that in Match or April of this year.
TCL= $172,800

Message 9 of 30
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Just checked and the product change to the QS1 took place last April. Hmmm that's beyond 6 months ***scratches***
TCL= $172,800

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.