Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED -Cap One Upgrade Offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Upgrade Offer - Yes,no?

oh well..i just went and did it! for me its a big "take that" to capital one for denying me the card back when i applied for it a couple months ago..i emailed and wrote to the executive office, they called me and everything and still wouldn't give it to me.. ive been a customer for 4 years, paid every single payment on time and still.. big fat no. well guess what.. now i have one.. so there! LOL.. i have my discover anyway..
take that cap1.. haha!!!
sorry i know i sound like a 5 year old..

Message 11 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats Sasha, if a card works for you thats all that matters. I just find C1 too complicated for my average needs. Too many loops to jump through. It works for many but along with Sir Barclay, two companies i can never join anyway so ill rest peacefully on the sidelines watching everyone take turns on those rollercoastersSmiley Wink
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

yea i kind of have a love/hate relationship with them... they were my first card out of my BK and yet they drive me crazy LOL.. from what i read on here Barclay even scares me!

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just have to say.. this upgrade definitely made my day.. maybe its not the most desirable travel card, but we dont travel a ton.. i just wanted one for when we do happen to maybe take our little trips for a couple days once a year to NH or whevever..

this definitely makes up for the disappointment i felt when the EO called me and said, STILL NO! i honestly still feel like they should take your history with them into consideration but of course they wont.

Message 14 of 21
fdrfan54
Frequent Contributor

Congrats Sasha.

Newegg Card $1200| Amazon Card $1000| Walmart Card $1100| Discover IT Card $1500 Current Fico score is 672 currently Gardening for the time being. Been a member of the Garden since 11-21-17 Planning to stay until Mid-2019.
Message 15 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@enjoimorenow wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I would never do this upgrade.

I really don't see any benefit to the Venture One over the QS..???

I know you want a travel card, but the Venture One is not really a "travel card" it is a cash back card that can only be redeemed for travel expenses (unless you want cash back then it has an even lower value).

So QS, you get 1.5% cash back on anything

V1 you get 1.25% cash back only on travel and less if you want actual cash back.

IMO, it makes a lot more sense to just keep the QS and use the cash back for travel or whatever you want.  

^^^ This.

As long as you're happy that's all that matters, but just FYI you will now earn less rewards than before.  Smiley Sad

For new applicants there are a couple of reasons to consider the Venture One, namely it often has a better sign up bonus than the Quicksilver and it sometimes has an APR that's 1% lower than the Quicksilver, but after that it's always recommended to upgrade a Venture One to a QS since the rewards are higher (and unrestricted).

The good news is that in six months you'll be eligible to PC back.  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@enjoimorenow wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I would never do this upgrade.

I really don't see any benefit to the Venture One over the QS..???

I know you want a travel card, but the Venture One is not really a "travel card" it is a cash back card that can only be redeemed for travel expenses (unless you want cash back then it has an even lower value).

So QS, you get 1.5% cash back on anything

V1 you get 1.25% cash back only on travel and less if you want actual cash back.

IMO, it makes a lot more sense to just keep the QS and use the cash back for travel or whatever you want.  

^^^ This.

As long as you're happy that's all that matters, but just FYI you will now earn less rewards than before.  Smiley Sad

For new applicants there are a couple of reasons to consider the Venture One, namely it often has a better sign up bonus than the Quicksilver and it sometimes has an APR that's 1% lower than the Quicksilver, but after that it's always recommended to upgrade a Venture One to a QS since the rewards are higher (and unrestricted).

The good news is that in six months you'll be eligible to PC back.  Smiley Happy

oh well.. im still over here laughing at cap1 that i got my way in the end... and im happy and i dont want to go back..besides since im such a goody 2 shoes i never used my cash back for anything other than to reduce my balance.. i have my discover for cash back rewards anyway---which ive also been applying toward the balance like a dope but just yesterday i opened a discover savings account.

of course i let BF transfer his 2% paypal rewards to his paypal and use them to buy what he wants... 😂

Message 17 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

As long as you're pleased with what you have is really all that matters; I'm only mentioning the specifics here to make sure you're informed about what you're doing. 

Some people use a specific card due to the color or design, and that's cool, too... to each his/her own.  Smiley Happy

Personally, I like to maximize my rewards as much as possible.  Back when my BCP was only at $1k, I used it hard... my saying at the time was I wanted to "make 'em pay!"... as in, pay me more rewards.  I was annoyed that my CL was lower than my other cards, but my primary concern was earning a higher rewards rate, not chasing higher credit lines (the CL was a concern as well, but was secondary - rewards are always tops with me).

While most of us here are concentrating on maximizing rewards, it's sometimes easy to forget other people might have other goals, which of course is fine as well.  I only mention the specifics of the Venture One/QS in this thread for others who might be reading.

I'll close by mentioning to always remember the old Chinese curse... "May your every wish be granted...".  Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't the first thread where I've seen someone intentionally choose the lesser of two rewards options and I'm sure it won't be the last. You're the one that pays the bill so if you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

Message 19 of 21
SBR249
Established Contributor

I seem to remember that Venture One also had slightly looser underwriting standards as well compared to QS? Or am I just imagining that? In any case, I actually recently PCed my V1 of two years to the QS and for those who read the thread in the future, the miles convert 1:1 to cashback in that case. So if you find that you don't have that many eligible travel expenses to cash out and don't want to take a hit taking straight CB under V1, that's a one time get-out-of-jail card to liberate your rewards earnings, provided you have an upgrade offer that is. 

But I do agree that V1 has a better sign up bonus than the QS ($200 vs $150).

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.