Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank cherrypicking customers for Cash+

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: US Bank cherrypicking customers for Cash+

This is why I use my Cash+ cards for the 5% categories mostly, but then will use the 2% category, and from time to time, non-category spend. I also end up not getting a category on something I thought I would, but I'm perfectly happy with that. I also use the card when I want to know what the merchant codes at; you cannot beat the quality of information in the transaction download from US Bank, it lists the exct MCC code used for the merchant and that MCC code applies to other VISA and MC cards the same.

If it makes the bank algorithm happy, I'll game that.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

So far, so good on mine; it's still a Cash+. It would be ironic, but while initially using this card for only 5% purchases, I think that what's keeping me from losing this card might be an even more abusive practice on my part; using it for a single small purchase each month and paying it down to 99¢ before the statement cuts so I get a small balance credit.

I got the Cash+ when I first heard about it back in 2012 (actually it was a PC from some useless other USBank card). I did some pretty good damage on it in the first couple of years. Restaurant, Hotel, and oh, the great one, Bill Payment. I used the heck out of Bill Payment (utilities, insurance, etc.). Bill Payment was the first category to fall, then Restaurant, then Hotel. After that, the card lost most of its meaning for me; I select two of Department Stores, Electronics and Furniture Stores, whichever isn't covered by other cards and has a (ever so slight) chance of me spending anything on that quarter. So since the start of 2015, when statement time is approaching and I haven't spent anything category-wise on the card (which is most months), I make a small non-5% purchase (under $3), then make a quick payment to bring the balance down to 99¢. When the statement is cut, USBank gives me a small balance credit for 99¢, which results in a pretty good cashback percentage! Actually, if I find something to charge for exactly 99¢, then I don't have to do the payment at all, and I get 100% cashback on that purchase.

Now you would think USBank would hate that practice, but I'm starting to wonder if those small non-category purchases are what's keeping me in this card. Something to ponder.

Anyhow, question for OP, or anyone else who's been converted: What happened to your Cash+ rewards balance, if any? Converted to FlexPoints at 1 point per $.01 of rewards?

Chris.

Message 12 of 23
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

When I closed my FlexPerks card, USBank automatically transferred the points to my Cash+ pile. I do believe it was $0.01 per point but have long since forgotten.

Message 13 of 23
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

The thing with rewards programs is as already stated they can change in the twinkle of an eye but you have the right to vote with your feet as you have done here and jettisoned the card. I myself have voted on several banks when they changed their rewards and told them this was the only reason for my termination of relationship with them. I would expect banks to continue to tighten up in the current enviornment of tightening money. Welcome to the board OP Smiley Happy

Let's hope that it's a slow transition. LoL

I don't see very much so uncommon in the way US Bank pulled this off.

Over these years it's become clear (to me anyway) exactly which lenders are more apt to exercise certain constraints even at the expense of losing some customers. (Barclays comes first to mind)

US Bank was one of the early cards in this camp but growth was completely stagnant.

It was summarily dismissed as Closed by Consumer after a 5+ year card-only relationship.

When there is no reasonable enough advantage to hold certain cards, especially when they change up or nerf rewards structure, it often doesn't leave you much choice but to look for equal or better alternatives.

FWIW I tried early on for the Cash+ and after being assured it was approved, of course i was one of those who instead was supplied with the plain jane. Eventually got it PC'ed over to FlexPerks but by then other lenders proved much more competitive.

Message 14 of 23
driftless
Valued Contributor

I just tried the US Bank pre-qualified page and Cash+ came up for me.  We used to bank with US Bank, did not care for the bank.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 15 of 23
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@driftless wrote:

I just tried the US Bank pre-qualified page and Cash+ came up for me.  We used to bank with US Bank, did not care for the bank.

I never banked with them and kind of glad i didn't. That's not to say they aren't OK in that department but others got the drop on them and been so good there was no need to take on another at the time.

Did have their card, only one, and changed it up over to another one like mentioned above but it was nothing to write home about.

If there is something worth mentioning besides rewards i can confidently confirm that once you have their cards they don't seem to mind at all if you open new cards or the amount of them.

Although conservative from one standpoint and view, they aren't shaken in the least when in a crowd of established or new accounts. You just need to do usage in the normal manner and they won't blink an eye.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

mine appears to still be a Cash+ but we'll see if that changes. I have only used it for the 5% categories and it was originally just a Cash Rewards before they allowed baby limit Cash+ cards and I PC'd it.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

This does suck the way they did it....

That being said they are testing the 365 Amex at 2% for s year to see if more people will use it as their daily card. If it happens they are going to change the card from 1.5 to 2% Cash Back on all transactions in 2018. (Take this with a grain of salt tho as with any CSR it seems you get different answers each time you call) I can say my new 365 Amex did indeed come with 2% for the first year. Happy about that till I got my Disco Miles Card with Cash Back Match so now that beats it at 3%. :/
Hope they change it permantly. I have both the Cash Plus and the 365 Amex so I think I am safe from the conversion, especially with my other 100 Accounts with them. Lol
Message 18 of 23
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I just put a $1,700 charge on one of my 5% category's.

This with my other 5% category spend will max out this quarters cap a month early.

No other general spend put on card.

Card is 2 years old, with only category spend each month.

Will see if "poking the bear" will get me eaten  Smiley Surprised

I live on the edge of CC danger  Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 23
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

It sounds like very few people have had their cash+ cards downgraded to a different card. 

I wonder if these people used any Checking or Savings accounts on a regular basis, and if they had any money being direct deposited on a regular basis? It may be that US Bank wants to reserve their best cash back card for people that use their banking products, and not just for those that only use the credit card. Just a theory, of course.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.