cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA CLI / combine credit limits with secured?

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

USAA CLI / combine credit limits with secured?

I started my rebuilding with a USAA secured card at $1k CL.  That card is now over 1 year old and will get charged an annual fee when I get my statement in July.  I now have other good cards, including a USAA rewards visa with $3k CL that is 8 months old, so I no longer use the secured card at all, its not in my wallet, and it is always at $0 balance.

And so I was thinking about closing the secured card.  I was thinking about asking USAA to combine the secured credit limit with the limit on my Rewards visa.  Or possibly just asking for a CLI on the Rewards card before closing the secured, but I hear that it is a hard-pull inquiry.  There is currently a specific card that I would like to eventually obtain that could take longer to get if I have to wait one year from July for the USAA hard-pull to fall off.

Does anyone have experience with USAA CLI's or combining credit limits using 1 secured card?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: USAA CLI / combine credit limits with secured?

Hrm, I'm pretty certain it'd be off-limits but that's just a guess.  Call and ask, worst case they tell you no.

        
Message 2 of 4
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I was planning on calling tomorrow, but just got excited about the idea and was hoping that somebody had done something similar and could post an answer right now.  I will post an update as to how it goes tomorrow.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 4
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with USAA.  They could not combine the credit limits, but were able to increase the credit limit on my rewards card from $3k to $4500, which cost me a hard pull (probably equifax).  I then closed the secured card, avoided the annual fee, and USAA is somehow crediting the $1000 secured deposit back into my checking account, even though it was in a 2-year CD.

I am happy with this result.  I wish USAA didn't have to pull equifax, but it is what it is.  At least I am not paying any fees, I have some extra money in my checking account, and I didn't sacrifice my overall credit limit to close the secured card.

EDIT:  It was a hard-pull on equifax.  I can see it on my USAA CMS.  Since I have so many inqs on equifax, this does not effect my score at all.  It does, unfortunately, make a longer wait to get inqs off my equifax report to apply for a PenFed card, but I think I will just use what I have for a year and be happy that I pay no fees.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.