Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Secured Cards DO NOT Unsecure

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Secured Cards DO NOT Unsecure

@ccnewcc wrote:

Basically, USAA sucks all around.  NFCU is Way better.

USAA checking has all free atms.   NFCU cost $1 for each withdrawal.

USAA has an awesome website that makes all transactions extremely easy.  NFCU's website is way behind the times.

NFCU offers high limit credit cards to people who are rebuilding.  USAA does not offer quite so high limits.

Both USAA and NFCU rewards are not that great when compared to other more popular rewards cards.

I wouldn't say that USAA sucks all around.  Or that NFCU is way better.  They are both decent.  A secured card is for building a positive history in order to get better cards.  I am not sure why anyone would think that all secured cards are supposed to automatically unsecure.  The goal is to build a history that will allow you to apply for better accounts at multiple different lenders in the future.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 11 of 17
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

USAA checking has all free atms.   NFCU cost $1 for each withdrawal.  False

USAA has an awesome website that makes all transactions extremely easy.  NFCU's website is way behind the times.  False

NFCU offers high limit credit cards to people who are rebuilding.  USAA does not offer quite so high limits.

Both USAA and NFCU rewards are not that great when compared to other more popular rewards cards.

I wouldn't say that USAA sucks all around.  Or that NFCU is way better.  They are both decent.  A secured card is for building a positive history in order to get better cards.  I am not sure why anyone would think that all secured cards are supposed to automatically unsecure.  The goal is to build a history that will allow you to apply for better accounts at multiple different lenders in the future.

https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/checking-savings/checking.php

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/ebrochures/2043ep.pdf

NFCU refunds up to $20 per statement period. Whereas USAA only refunds up to $15

NFCU has over 50,000 ATMS that are do not charge anything. If one goes to an off network ATM, NFCU will refund up to $20.

http://infocenter.navyfederal.org/

NFCU has updated their website this month.

Do your research.  I shouldn't have to do it for you.

Message 12 of 17
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

ccnewcc wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

ccnewcc wrote:

USAA has an awesome website that makes all transactions extremely easy.  NFCU's website is way behind the times.  False

NFCU refunds up to $20 per statement period. Whereas USAA only refunds up to $15

NFCU has over 50,000 ATMS that are do not charge anything. If one goes to an off network ATM, NFCU will refund up to $20.

NFCU includes a $1 service charge for any non CO-OP network ATMS.   NFCU does NOT refund this service charge.  USAA does not charge this fee.  USAA wins here.

EDIT: https://nfcuccss-tst.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2560/~/does-navy-federal-waive-atm-fees%3F

the NFCU login page has changed.  The actual site after logging in is still old and cumbersome.  They have been saying they will change it for awhile now.  I don't see anything better.  USAA wins here by far.

Next time, it might help to fully complete your own research before assuming that I haven't done mine.

ETA:  I am not trying to generate a hostile reaction here, I am just pointing out things and trying to say that both financial institutions are decent and both have some negatives, but neither one is a place of banking that "sucks all around".

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 13 of 17
mt2va
Established Contributor

USAA secured cards have never un-secured. Nowhere when you sign up for the card do they promise it will un-secure.  But people still chose for whatever reason to take the card out.  I have the AmEx and the MC.  I just would rather put my money with someone like USAA than say Cap1 or some other less prestigious folks.  I figure by the time the CD matures I should be hopefully ready for some un-secured cards and I can just close them out when I get my other cards or continue on for another 2 years if I choose.

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 14 of 17
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I belong to both USAA and NFCU, and recommend both to those who are eligible.  I don't deal with true banks any more, I have USAA (which is member owned just a different "Texas Insurance Buying Coop" structure), NFCU and a third CU I'm eligible to through my work.

USAA is somewhat better for remote banking (IMHO), has a better setup for ACH transfers, and offers excellent insurance and investment options (NFCU offers discounts with other companies).  My direct deposits post a day earlier on USAA than NFCU.  USAA will not extend credit to me because of prior BK - I had credit with them before BK, they didn't lose anything in BK, they are conservative.  I used their secured card for two years but once I obtained adequate unsecured credit I dropped it a year ago.

NFCU has been very good for credit cards, auto and installment loans.  My credit rebuild wouldn't have been nearly as successful without them.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 17
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

ccnewcc wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

ccnewcc wrote:

NFCU includes a $1 service charge for any non CO-OP network ATMS.   NFCU does NOT refund this service charge.  USAA does not charge this fee.  USAA wins here.

EDIT: https://nfcuccss-tst.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2560/~/does-navy-federal-waive-atm-fees%3F

the NFCU login page has changed.  The actual site after logging in is still old and cumbersome.  They have been saying they will change it for awhile now.  I don't see anything better.  USAA wins here by far.

Next time, it might help to fully complete your own research before assuming that I haven't done mine.

ETA:  I am not trying to generate a hostile reaction here, I am just pointing out things and trying to say that both financial institutions are decent and both have some negatives, but neither one is a place of banking that "sucks all around".

This is hardly a deal breaker. With over 50,000 network ATMs worldwide, I am sure a NFCU member can find an ATM without incurring a dollar fee. And even on your link you provided, NFCU even recommends to do a free POS cash back withdraw as free alternative. But my guess is, if someone is badly in need of cash fast and they are not around any one of those 50,000 plus ATMs, the least of their concern is a dollar convenience fee.

NFCU has over 4 million members to transfer over to the new site. Just because your online account hasn’t been transferred over doesn’t mean it is not in the works. 4 million is a lot and will take time to transfer everyone over.  As they have even mentioned.

I have both USAA and NFCU. I will keep both. But imo, NFCU is better.

Message 16 of 17
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

Definitely didn't intend for this to turn into a USAA vs NFCU debate, but I have to state that DaveSignal and chasmith both stated the differences and virtues of both best. I love them both for different reasons.

I will not fault USAA for their business model with credit cards. There are other companies that are just as strict or stricter. I've already decided to simply close the card when the 2 year period is up in June since I do have unsecured credit cards now and I expect their limits (at least on the NFCU cards) to be even higher by the time June rolls around.

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.