Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA membership questions

tag
starry1
Valued Contributor

USAA membership questions

In my quest for a second CU to join post bk7, I'm wondering what the requirements are for membership in USAA.  My father is an Army retiree and is eligible for membership, but he does not want to join.  I was able to join NFCU even though he is not a member and was wondering if USAA offers the same.  And post-bk, would it really be worth it for me to join?  I'm just wondering how conservative a lender they are. 

I could probably sweet talk my dad into joining if I need to, but I'd rather not since he really wants nothing to do with anything military ever again, he says seeing a bunch of uniforms around him when he goes to the commisary and PX makes him twitchy.  Understandably so since he did three tours of Vietnam and two of Korea.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: USAA membership questions

USAA is a bank not a CU. you can be a partial member without having your dad join. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure you will not be able to get insurance and some of their cc's may offer different rates.

It's been awhile since I joined but my DH was Air Force so we are full members. I'm sure others will chime in with information.
Message 2 of 5
paulbrapp
New Contributor

USAA is not a credit union.  Your father would have to get some sort of insurance product with them to make you eligible to become a full member.

Message 3 of 5
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

@starry1 wrote:

In my quest for a second CU to join post bk7, I'm wondering what the requirements are for membership in USAA.  My father is an Army retiree and is eligible for membership, but he does not want to join.  I was able to join NFCU even though he is not a member and was wondering if USAA offers the same.  And post-bk, would it really be worth it for me to join?  I'm just wondering how conservative a lender they are. 

I could probably sweet talk my dad into joining if I need to, but I'd rather not since he really wants nothing to do with anything military ever again, he says seeing a bunch of uniforms around him when he goes to the commisary and PX makes him twitchy.  Understandably so since he did three tours of Vietnam and two of Korea.

I'd look into DCU/PenFed. When you joined NFCU, did you apply for membership over the phone or online? What kind information did they request of you?

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 4 of 5
starry1
Valued Contributor

I applied over the phone. They didn't require any paperwork at the time. They did request some documents to verify my identity and address when I applied for a cc a month later. But I have a copy of my dad's dd214 just in case they ever ask for it. I've read s couple of horror stories of people who couldn't prove their eligibility down the road.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.