cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uber Visa cash back categories DP thread

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Senior Contributor

Re: Uber Visa Rewards Data Points


@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

For "online purchases" you're probably better off just using a 2% everything card like Citi DC rather than roll the dice on whether you'll code for the right category with the Uber card.

Restaurants, and hotels/airfare are pretty easy to tell what is and what isn't.


+1  My philosophy is to use category cards only when the category is worth 3% or more.  I use my PenFed Power Cash Rewards (2% on everything) on any spending that doesn't get 3% or better.

 


Yes, good logic. I was just trying to spread my spend around a bit. My PayPal Cashback MC is my 2% on everything go to card, but a bit too "go to" this month, I'm at 30% util mid-cycle. It will be down to 13% when my PIF last statement balance payment hits Monday, but I don't use Uber that much and PIF before the statement cuts so I try to toss a little 2% spend its way.

 


@UpperNwGuy wrote:

If would be nice to hear from more Uber users about their experience with hotels and airfare.  I'd also like to hear about how smoothly the redemptions are.


Yes, the 4% dining & 3% travel are the best categories to use the Uber card on, so hopefully more tips like imaximous's tip (post #6) on how to get 4% at Starbucks. 


Fico 08: 734/716/734 TU/EX/EQ
Message 21 of 46
Valued Contributor

Re: Uber Visa Rewards Data Points


@DaveInAZ

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

For "online purchases" you're probably better off just using a 2% everything card like Citi DC rather than roll the dice on whether you'll code for the right category with the Uber card.

Restaurants, and hotels/airfare are pretty easy to tell what is and what isn't.


+1  My philosophy is to use category cards only when the category is worth 3% or more.  I use my PenFed Power Cash Rewards (2% on everything) on any spending that doesn't get 3% or better.

 


Yes, good logic. I was just trying to spread my spend around a bit. My PayPal Cashback MC is my 2% on everything go to card, but a bit too "go to" this month, I'm at 30% util mid-cycle. It will be down to 13% when my PIF last statement balance payment hits Monday, but I don't use Uber that much and PIF before the statement cuts so I try to toss a little 2% spend its way.

 


@UpperNwGuy wrote:

If would be nice to hear from more Uber users about their experience with hotels and airfare.  I'd also like to hear about how smoothly the redemptions are.


Yes, the 4% dining & 3% travel are the best categories to use the Uber card on, so hopefully more tips like imaximous's tip (post #6) on how to get 4% at Starbucks. 



Here's one for those who value United miles. If you buy gift cards on the United MPX app with the Uber card, it codes for 2% back plus however many points the merchant allows. For instance, Starbucks gives only 1 mile per Dollar, but you're also getting 2% cashback on your Uber card for the same purchase. 

There are many popular merchants that offer 5 miles per dollar or more during promos on the MPX app, so that's another way to maximize if you want to earn cashback and miles at the same time. 

 

Now, It'd nice if United MPX coded as "Travel" for 3X, but 2X cashback plus miles is pretty good too.

AMEX | BofA | Barclays | Cap One | Chase | Citi | Discover | PenFed | SYNCB (PP 2%, Lowe's, Amazon, PP Credit) | US Bank
Message 22 of 46
Senior Contributor

Re: Uber Visa Rewards Data Points


@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Used my card at hotel valet the last 3 days for a conference and got 3% back.. Was kinda shocked Smiley Happy


How else might it have been categorized?

Most spend: CSR, CFU, BBP
Rewards/AAoA ballast: CF, Discover, Costco, ED, Arrival
Perks: Schwab Platinum, IHG49, Hyatt75, Brilliant, Delta Platinum
Potential closures/downgrades: Savor, BCP, Double Cash
Message 23 of 46
Valued Contributor

Re: Uber Visa Rewards Data Points


@wasCB14 wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Used my card at hotel valet the last 3 days for a conference and got 3% back.. Was kinda shocked Smiley Happy


How else might it have been categorized?


a lot of hotels, restaurants, etc., subcontract valet parking companies. If they bill you separately, I don't think it'd code as a hotel purchase but whatever coding they fall under. If it's a hotel valet, and you get the charges added to your total hotel bill, then I can see that coding as a hotel transaction.

AMEX | BofA | Barclays | Cap One | Chase | Citi | Discover | PenFed | SYNCB (PP 2%, Lowe's, Amazon, PP Credit) | US Bank
Message 24 of 46
Established Contributor

Re: Uber Visa Rewards Data Points

psst Dave look here: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Uber-Visa-cash-back-categories-DP-thread/m-p/5131645#M... /shameless self promotion Smiley Tongue

 

But seriously we should combine the two threads since this is a very useful topic


9/2/19:

Message 25 of 46
Contributor

Re: Uber Visa Rewards Data Points

I use this card exclusively for dining, fast food and bars. So far everything has coded as the 4% category for me, but I haven’t even received my first statement yet.
Message 26 of 46
New Contributor

Re: Uber Visa Rewards Data Points

I have had no problems at bars, restaurants, or fast food getting 4%. Also the gf took her AU card overseas last month and got 3% on everything we expected including in flight purchases. Also got a few touristy gift shops coding as 4% so that was nice. But I use the DC on anything else besides streaming services because Id rather not test the 2% waters.


Gardening until May of '19?
Message 27 of 46
Regular Contributor

Re: Uber Visa cash back categories DP thread

I have a tough time using the Uber card for anything other than restaurants/bars. My Cash+ handles fast food at 5% and I don't spend much at all on 'travel', then everything else is covered by my Limitless at worst (minus any SUB needs). Still, it's been a great card so far and Barclays has been awesome. 

Message 28 of 46
Valued Contributor

Re: Uber Visa cash back categories DP thread


@dyn085 wrote:

I have a tough time using the Uber card for anything other than restaurants/bars. My Cash+ handles fast food at 5% and I don't spend much at all on 'travel', then everything else is covered by my Limitless at worst (minus any SUB needs). Still, it's been a great card so far and Barclays has been awesome. 


You could charge your cell phone bill on it for free insurance on all lines. I did the math on getting 5% back with my USB Cash+ on a $320 monthly bill. I'd get $16 back every month instead of $3.20 (1% on Uber card), but it made all the sense in the world when my daughter broke her iPhone.

I basically calculated to charge my cell phone bill every month, plus some subscriptions to get the $50 back for $5k spend. The card is basically a 2% card up to $5k of non-category spend. 

AMEX | BofA | Barclays | Cap One | Chase | Citi | Discover | PenFed | SYNCB (PP 2%, Lowe's, Amazon, PP Credit) | US Bank
Message 29 of 46
Established Contributor

Re: Uber Visa cash back categories DP thread


@imaximous wrote:

@dyn085 wrote:

I have a tough time using the Uber card for anything other than restaurants/bars. My Cash+ handles fast food at 5% and I don't spend much at all on 'travel', then everything else is covered by my Limitless at worst (minus any SUB needs). Still, it's been a great card so far and Barclays has been awesome. 


You could charge your cell phone bill on it for free insurance on all lines. I did the math on getting 5% back with my USB Cash+ on a $320 monthly bill. I'd get $16 back every month instead of $3.20 (1% on Uber card), but it made all the sense in the world when my daughter broke her iPhone.

I basically calculated to charge my cell phone bill every month, plus some subscriptions to get the $50 back for $5k spend. The card is basically a 2% card up to $5k of non-category spend. 


I agree but will add the caveat that you need to have a qualifying digital subscription to benefit from this. The list is as follows:

- Apple Music
- Pandora
- Spotify

- Amazon Music

- Google Music

- Audible

- Sirius XM

- Netflix

- Hulu

- HBO NOW

- DirecTV NOW

- The membership fee for Amazon Prime and Shoprunner

 

So if you don't have any of the above, you're better off using a 2% card for all your non-category general spend. 


9/2/19:

Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.