Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsecuring BofA Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unsecuring BofA Card

Hello Everyone,

I'd love to know if you guys think I have a shot at unsecuring my BofA card at 2.5 months

When I got the card my EX fico was 619, and I know they use TU to unsecure, and that score is 675.  I'm wondering if that's high enough to unsecure or do I need to be right at 700.  I have heard that the 1 year timeframe is just a suggestion, and not a hard & fast rule.

Also, I got a Chase card for a 5K limit, but it is not reporting---should I wait till it reports?  I'm thinking I will take a hit on my AAoA (still roughly 7.5yrs) but then BofA will see that my secured 1K card is not my highest limit...maybe they would be more comfortable?  The Chase card reports on the 20th I think....

Would love to hear what you guys think!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Unsecuring BofA Card

I've never had this card but from everything that i've read they don't do the review till 12 months.  Others who have had this card may know more, but I think that is there policy.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not even a snowball's chance in hell in my estimation.

Just wait, used to be some people had some luck unsecuring at the 9 month mark but that wasn't guarunteed, but 2.5 months no way and I absolutely wouldn't go poking the bear on this one on the off chance you talk to someone who's having a bad day.

        
Message 3 of 8
slicemans
Regular Contributor

I would wait til 12 months

Message 4 of 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

I unsecured at 6 months. Earliest I have seen is 5 months. It will be a hp if you request it and no guarantee you will be unsecured. Like it was said earlier, they may review you as early as 9 months and unsecure you. Good luck! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I'd love to know if you guys think I have a shot at unsecuring my BofA card at 2.5 months

When I got the card my EX fico was 619, and I know they use TU to unsecure, and that score is 675.  I'm wondering if that's high enough to unsecure or do I need to be right at 700.  I have heard that the 1 year timeframe is just a suggestion, and not a hard & fast rule.

Also, I got a Chase card for a 5K limit, but it is not reporting---should I wait till it reports?  I'm thinking I will take a hit on my AAoA (still roughly 7.5yrs) but then BofA will see that my secured 1K card is not my highest limit...maybe they would be more comfortable?  The Chase card reports on the 20th I think....

Would love to hear what you guys think!

I have the secured.

I will go past 5 months at the end of this month. The UW I spoke with said they love heavy heavy usage and multiple payments and its exactly what I have been doing. I also bank with them and maintain a high average balance in my accounts and ive never overdrawn the account. She said I had a perfect situation with which to unsecure after5 months which is the ABSOLUTE earliest they will do a review. I've added about 70 points to my scores since then. 

She said I have extremely good odds at unsecuring and receiving a CLI. Hope this helps

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly I used it heavy multiple payments my utilization was high from my other cards and a new account was reported and they still graduated me at the 12th month mark got my $4K
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is really great info---looks like I will be waiting for awhile!!!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.