Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from dept store JC Penney to JC Penney MC

tag
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

Upgrade from dept store JC Penney to JC Penney MC

I dont use my JC Penney much but just got an upgrade MC-I have not activate it as of yet but just wondering if I did activate it would it  affect my credit score? I really dont need another MC card>

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Upgrade from dept store JC Penney to JC Penney MC

If you have already accepted the upgrade, this means that the MC will report as a new account since the retail card would be closed. So, if the MC is in your possession, the upgrade is irreversible, regardless whether you activate the card or not.

Now, if you saw it display online or received the offer via snail mail to be upgraded, but have not yet accepted it, then you should be fine with leaving your existing account as is.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I once had second thoughts about a CC that I received and called them and cancelled it before activation. It never showed up on my CR and the HP went away.

Message 3 of 12
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

I think I read that I have until 1/19 to activate card

Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

This is the Synchrony Unicorn, rare indeedSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Any data points you can share that might have lead to this upgrade?
Message 6 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I once had second thoughts about a CC that I received and called them and cancelled it before activation. It never showed up on my CR and the HP went away.

In certain circumstances that may be the case, but not for SYNCB accounts that may be correlated to an upgrade, especially if already accepted.

Message 7 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ramblinggirl wrote:

I think I read that I have until 1/19 to activate card

Just for clarification, have you received the JCP MC?   Or are you referring to an upgrade notification or mailer that you have not accepted as of yet?

Message 8 of 12
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Any data points you can share that might have lead to this upgrade?

Long time having a JC Penney card, use card periodically, good credit score. They did the same thing with my TJmaxx card which I use quite often. Thats what I assume happened

Message 9 of 12
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

The card is here but the wording is this

1 Activate your card by January 4, 2019 

2 this card replaces your existing card. please destroy your existing card. Upon activation, your JCPenney Credit card account information and balance will automatically transfer to your new account and your old account will be closed.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.