TOTAL 5635025000  

Utilization44%   
Combine Income65000   
Inquires15   
AOA1.2Years  
Oldest Account3.3Years  
Current Credit Score642   
Car Loan @ 8.5% USAA$41,00060 Months  

I spend my 22000 for a family emergency on my sister-in law Amex Blue Sky card as an authorized user and the promotional 0% expires on August 18, 2013. I really need some advice on a plan to refinance this cc debt so I don’t have to pay 24% interest rate. I believed in 3 months time I will pay off everything on my Discover Card and Amex Cash. The remaining Amex Blue is my problem.

1) How do I stay afloat away from paying any interest by paying $1000 towards this card beginning June 2013 till it’s paid in full? I see USAA have a promotion for any BT transfer before April 8th 2013, there is not BT fee and 0% interest until the balance is paid off. My USAA is about 4 months old.

2) Is there any way USAA will give me that much credit line. I am a full member.

3) Should I remove myself from the Amex Blue Sky and then apply for a credit line increase with USAA.

My current score was from a hard pull last month when I apply for Barclay’s card. Most of these limits are about 6-8 months old when my score was in the mid 700’s when I app for new accounts and request CLI. Currently all accounts are current with no late payments, no collection activity, no negatives. Never had any negatives on my credit report with a clean perfect history. Sometimes I will carry a balance.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated no matter how small please let me know what you think will be a good strategy for repaying this debt without having to paying this high interest rate.

Message 1 of 66
65 REPLIES 65
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Urgently Advice Needed

@vikash1986 wrote:
Credit CardCredit LimitBalace OwedDate OpenComments
Bank Of America50000Nov-09Individual
Capital One40000Dec-09Individual
Barclays25000Feb-13Individual
Best Buy30000Nov-11Individual
Macy's26000Jun-11Individual
USAA15000Dec-12Individual
Discover47501000Sep-12Individual
Amex Clear20000Feb-13AU***
Amex Cash60002000Aug-12Individual
Amex Sky Blue2500022000Oct-12AU***
Amex GoldNPSL0Aug-12Individual
TOTAL 5635025000  

Utilization44%   
Combine Income65000   
Inquires15   
AOA1.2Years  
Oldest Account3.3Years  
Current Credit Score642   
@Anonymous Loan @ 8.5% USAA$41,00060 Months  

I spend my 22000 for a family emergency on my sister-in law Amex Blue Sky card as an authorized user and the promotional 0% expires on August 18, 2013. I really need some advice on a plan to refinance this cc debt so I don’t have to pay 24% interest rate. I believed in 3 months time I will pay off everything on my Discover Card and Amex Cash. The remaining Amex Blue is my problem.

1) How do I stay afloat away from paying any interest by paying $1000 towards this card beginning June 2013 till it’s paid in full? I see USAA have a promotion for any BT transfer before April 8th 2013, there is not BT fee and 0% interest until the balance is paid off. My USAA is about 4 months old.

2) Is there any way USAA will give me that much credit line. I am a full member.

3) Should I remove myself from the Amex Blue Sky and then apply for a credit line increase with USAA.

My current score was from a hard pull last month when I apply for Barclay’s card. Most of these limits are about 6-8 months old when my score was in the mid 700’s when I app for new accounts and request CLI. Currently all accounts are current with no late payments, no collection activity, no negatives. Never had any negatives on my credit report with a clean perfect history. Sometimes I will carry a balance.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated no matter how small please let me know what you think will be a good strategy for repaying this debt without having to paying this high interest rate.

With your current limits it's going to be hard to find a bank to give you a 20K + credit line but it is not unheard of. 

-What is your housing situation?

-Can you refinance your car and get any cash out?

-Do you have anything negative on your CRs?

You're probably looking at having to open up anywhere from 2-4 new accounts to transfer that balance to, it would be better if you can get as much cash from something else at lower interest rates to beat some of that down

Do you have anything of value that you can finance and pull any cash out?

How many Inquiries do you have on your Experian?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 66
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Seems like a lot of these urgent messages from 1 post people have been popping up lately. So you spent 22,000 as an authorized user. Let me ask (so I can entertain your little game), who owns the acct that you're an AU on?

Message 3 of 66
mauve
Valued Contributor

Check Chase Slate - they do a 15 month 0% balance transfer introductory offer. As in, not only do you pay 0% on the balance for 15 months, you also pay $0 on balance transfers that are done in the first 60 days of you having the account. Don't know what kind of limits they might offer you, and you can only transfer up to 80% of the limit.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 66
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@vikash1986 wrote:
TOTAL 5635025000  

Utilization44%   
Combine Income65000   
Inquires15   
AOA1.2Years  
Oldest Account3.3Years  
Current Credit Score642   

Why not remove yourself as AU, Pick maybe 2-3 BT cards up to get close to that amount and slowly pay the rest down on the AMEX?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 66
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@LS2982 wrote:

@vikash1986 wrote:
TOTAL 5635025000  

Utilization44%   
Combine Income65000   
Inquires15   
AOA1.2Years  
Oldest Account3.3Years  
Current Credit Score642   

Why not remove yourself as AU, Pick maybe 2-3 BT cards up to get close to that amount and slowly pay the rest down on the AMEX?

Exactly!

Message 6 of 66
mauve
Valued Contributor

BTW, where is that score from? Is it a FAKO or a FICO? And are the other 2 balances you have also on cards you're an AU on?

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 66
enharu
Super Contributor

I would recommend you just get a personal loan. Easiest way to do it without any complications. To apply for BT cards like slate, you will probably need to remove yourself as AU. It takes a while for CRAs to update that, then it takes a whole for u to apply and get the card itself. Biggest down side is there is no guarantee you can get 22k worth of credit line. That will depend on your annual income and all other factors, such as car loan payment history etc, not just your Fico score, due to the large amount.

If you apply for a card, but couldn't get such a large enough credit line, you will need to apply for more cards, or a loan at the end of the day. It will only get harder as u have more recent inquiries and new lines of credits on file.

So I suggest u get a personal loan and be done with it. Yes u gonna pay interests but rates are low now.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 66
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I hope you are being open and honest with your sister-in-law and she understands the charges you made, it will make things easier. It would also be very helpful if she is credit savy or you will face an uphill battle explaining how you have to appear not to need credit to get credit. The sooner you can get this undercontrol the better, for your relationship and your sister-in-law. AMEX may offer great 0 percent interest for months at a time, they don't like it when you carry a balance for more than a few months, if you let this go too long they may CLD the account, also it appears that you charged the debt and not the primary card holder it may open the door to FR, so it would be best to get this off the card.  

As other suggest you need to be removed as AU on the card, but be sure to explain to your sister-in-law why this is necessary. 

as soon as the card is removed from the card, Apply for an Chase Slate card, hopefully you will be approved, If necessary recon the denial, not likely given the facts you stated. 

Apply for any other cards that are good for BT's as quickly as possible so they don't see other new lines of credit on your reports. 

If you exhaust these options, it would be good to visit your bank and/or credit union and get a loan to pay the AMEX card balance to 20% or less or what you can pay back in 2 or 3 months,  while its not as nice as having 0% on a credit card its better than 15% plus interest and will hopefully keep family relations in a good standing as well. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 66
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

I hope you are being open and honest with your sister-in-law and she understands the charges you made, it will make things easier. It would also be very helpful if she is credit savy or you will face an uphill battle explaining how you have to appear not to need credit to get credit. The sooner you can get this undercontrol the better, for your relationship and your sister-in-law. AMEX may offer great 0 percent interest for months at a time, they don't like it when you carry a balance for more than a few months, if you let this go too long they may CLD the account, also it appears that you charged the debt and not the primary card holder it may open the door to FR, so it would be best to get this off the card.  

As other suggest you need to be removed as AU on the card, but be sure to explain to your sister-in-law why this is necessary. 

as soon as the card is removed from the card, Apply for an Chase Slate card, hopefully you will be approved, If necessary recon the denial, not likely given the facts you stated. 

Apply for any other cards that are good for BT's as quickly as possible so they don't see other new lines of credit on your reports. 

If you exhaust these options, it would be good to visit your bank and/or credit union and get a loan to pay the AMEX card balance to 20% or less or what you can pay back in 2 or 3 months,  while its not as nice as having 0% on a credit card its better than 15% plus interest and will hopefully keep family relations in a good standing as well. 

Yea i'd be a little worried about that.......

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.