Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Us bank vs Bank of America

tag
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Us bank vs Bank of America

Asking for a family member with a 730fico score and 5 inquiries and $250,000 available credit 6% utilization 

Which of the two is there a chance to get a higher credit line Bofa or us bank ?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Re: Us bank vs Bank of America

If you're specifically talking credit limit, it will be Bank of the Dread (BofA). US Bank is known to be conservative with initial credit limits.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jccflat Can you provide a few more details? For instance, how many credit cards do they have open, average age of accounts, X/12 status for inquiries and new accounts?

Which cards are under consideration? 

US Bank is known to be more conservative in terms of approval. You can be denied at 2 new accounts or more over the last 12 months for too many recent accounts. This is a YMMV situation though.

Starting limits are really hard to guage unfortunately, even with all the data.

Message 3 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It depends @Jccflat.  If BoA feels that your family member has sufficient available credit (all things considered), they may not go as high.  We're under a different lending environment these days so it could be a toss-up, plus we really don't know what your family member's overall profile is like, besides a couple of items that you've shared.  

Has your family member opened >3 accounts in the past 12 months?  Do they have any banking relationship with either bank?  Which particular cards is your family member interested in for BoA and US Bank?

I'd say, why not go for both? 😜

Message 4 of 12
ccquest
Established Contributor

Probably BoA, plus they have SP CLIs available compared to US Bank where you never know if it'll be HP or SP.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5 of 12
barca
Regular Contributor

I would recommend Bank of America Cash Rewards Card -

known for initial high limits + very good  credit line increases over time

Message 6 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For initial approvals, there are lots of data points for both banks.  If one has the income/assets to support it, the BoA cards can grow fairly easily given a little time with repeated CLI requests as evidenced by the number of us here with $99,900 BoA cards.

Message 7 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Cant wait to see the movie on Netflix!😄

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My vote would be that BoA would offer the superior SL to whatever USB would offer.

Message 9 of 12
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Jccflat wrote:

Asking for a family member with a 730fico score and 5 inquiries and $250,000 available credit 6% utilization 

Which of the two is there a chance to get a higher credit line Bofa or us bank ?

I don't even think this one is close from observing the approvals and limits on My Fico.  Hands down, I think Bank of America will normally give both higher starting limits and more generous credit limit increases to the same profile.   Now if you asked about Wells Fargo versus US Bank, that one would be much closer.  

US Bank in general just has more conservative underwriting, including the well-known 1/12 policy on new accounts.  (Bank of America's policy is a more lenient 3/12 or 7/12 if you have deposit accounts.)  Subjectively, I would estimate if you did an analysis of our approvals, their SLs probably average $5K to $10K lower for similar profiles.  On the upper ends, we've have several members on My Fico with Bank of America credit limits of $50K to $100K and even higher.  It's rare to see US Bank exceed $50K.   One member recently CLI'd an Altitude Reserve up to $60K with heavy spend and I think that is the highest I've seen reported.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.