cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using cashback as part of monthly payment?

tag
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

Using cashback as part of monthly payment?

I've read a few places that you can't use your cashback to make the minimum payment.  However, if you are paying in full, can the cashback be part of that?  I've been paying my US Bank Cash + bill by paying the statement balance even though the current balance is lower because I've applied my cashback as statement credit.

As an example, if my bill is $300, and I use $15 of cashback to apply for a statement credit, then my current balance would be $285.  So can I just pay $285 at that point?  I've been paying the $300 anyway and then my balance is negative until I spend more.  But I don't want to somehow get dinged for not paying the statement balance.  My concern is that if I use the card after making that payment, then by the time the due date comes, I will still show a balance and I will not have paid the statement balance in full (if they don't count the cashback), so they might start charging interest.

It's not amounted to much money and the surplus goes towards next month's bill anyway, so I haven't bothered to try to figure this out and just keep paying the extra.  I just tried to use their live chat to ask, but it wasn't working.  I figured maybe someone on here might know the answer.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using cashback as part of monthly payment?

Not sure about USB, but I've used cash back to pay for part if a statement in my early Chase Freedom days. Usually not an issue there.
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover let me wipe out my entire minimum payment with cash back one time.

I know Amex doesn’t allow this but other than that I’m not sure what lenders do and don’t.
Message 3 of 21
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@dlister70 wrote:

I've read a few places that you can't use your cashback to make the minimum payment.  However, if you are paying in full, can the cashback be part of that?  I've been paying my US Bank Cash + bill by paying the statement balance even though the current balance is lower because I've applied my cashback as statement credit.

As an example, if my bill is $300, and I use $15 of cashback to apply for a statement credit, then my current balance would be $285.  So can I just pay $285 at that point?  I've been paying the $300 anyway and then my balance is negative until I spend more.  But I don't want to somehow get dinged for not paying the statement balance.  My concern is that if I use the card after making that payment, then by the time the due date comes, I will still show a balance and I will not have paid the statement balance in full (if they don't count the cashback), so they might start charging interest.

It's not amounted to much money and the surplus goes towards next month's bill anyway, so I haven't bothered to try to figure this out and just keep paying the extra.  I just tried to use their live chat to ask, but it wasn't working.  I figured maybe someone on here might know the answer.

Yes.

Your cash back does NOT count against your MINIMUM payment, but it does reduce your balance... if you pay in full, you can pay your statement balance less the cash back amount and no interest charges become due.

We do this monthly on a high volume Capital One card in our household.  They've never charged me any interest.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 4 of 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Yes, if you're paying your statement balance in full you can use your cashback credit as part of the payment, I do that regularly on a number of cards. Even American Express which states clearly that you cannot use a cashback credit for any part of your minimum payment due has no problem with using it as part of your payment when paying your statement balance in full.

Message 5 of 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know Amex doesn’t allow this but other than that I’m not sure what lenders do and don’t.

Discover is tthe oddball, you can use a cashback credit for all or part of your minimum payment. They even send you an email "your payment has posted" which confused the heck out of me at first until I figured out they meant the cashback credit.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

That works for CapOne also. If I apply cash back on my Quicksilver, it reduces the minimum payment due.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover is tthe oddball, you can use a cashback credit for all or part of your minimum payment. They even send you an email "your payment has posted" which confused the heck out of me at first until I figured out they meant the cashback credit.

Yep I was shocked when I applied like $70 cash back to my card that it wiped out my minimum due.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That works for CapOne also. If I apply cash back on my Quicksilver, it reduces the minimum payment due.

Indeed. I did this with my SavorOne sign up bonus.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always apply my PPMC cash rewards as a payment towards my balance. I have the option of withdrawing to my bank- but I'd rather use those rewards to keep my balance low.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.