Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my new AMEX Zync like debit card?

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Using my new AMEX Zync like debit card?

So just curious if it would be fine to basically replace my bank/debit card for every purchase with my Zync card? I don't plan on making literally every purchase with it, but I'd like to start building up points and pushing some money through it so hopefully it will show them that I can and do use my card, responsibly at that.

I read all the time about the dreaded FR from AMEX...I'm not worried b/c I didn't lie on my app. I'm just happy to have even been approved for the card even if it currently is set up with a $500 limit and autopay. I also plan on pushing payments and using it more than just $500 per month, but will that look bad?

Thanks in advance,

John

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Using my new AMEX Zync like debit card?

Yes, it is a good idea. I use mine like a debit card. I haven't gotten F/R since I got my card. It is almost like 2 years.

Ron.
Message 2 of 23
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:
Yes, it is a good idea. I use mine like a debit card. I haven't gotten F/R since I got my card. It is almost like 2 years.

Ron.

Thanks, I appreciate the quick response. I'm guessing AMEX is accepted most everynow isn't it?

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 3 of 23
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

You should use that card like a debit card for sure. I do this too.

Amex is accepted all over the place now. You should have few problems.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 23
CS800
Super Contributor

I use my CC's in general more than my debit. May as well earn some points or cashback.

Speaking of cashback, starting in July till sept, Discover has 5% on Gas...i know the Penfed guys on here dont need it Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 23
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

You should use that card like a debit card for sure. I do this too.

Amex is accepted all over the place now. You should have few problems.

Sounds good!

Thanks

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 6 of 23
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I use my CC's in general more than my debit. May as well earn some points or cashback.

Speaking of cashback, starting in July till sept, Discover has 5% on Gas...i know the Penfed guys on here dont need it Smiley Happy

Discover and PenFed here.  I'll just use the PenFed for groceries.  I like Discover's reward redemption methods, better.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 23
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

I read all the time about the dreaded FR from AMEX...I'm not worried b/c I didn't lie on my app. I'm just happy to have even been approved for the card even if it currently is set up with a $500 limit and autopay. I also plan on pushing payments and using it more than just $500 per month, but will that look bad?

This way of thinking is refreshing.  Don't be afraid of the FR.  They are much more rare than these forums would have you believe, and there is nothing wrong with them asking for a little income verification.

Also, using more than the limit each month and PIF will just show them that you need a CLI.  Do this, and then ask for $1500 after 3 months.

Message 8 of 23
john398
Senior Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Chjase and Dsiscover, so I guess I need to use one till I hoit the cashback limit than use the other, or alternate

Message 9 of 23
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

You planning on buying $1500 worth of gas in 3 months?  Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.