Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Questions

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Utilization Questions

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

So I don't need to make a purchase until the 16th of this month and pay it off before the 12th of february right? And then make another purchase and pay it off before march 12th on the same time schedule?

If you are trying to report a $0 balance, than that works.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 11 of 13
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

But when I do need to report a balance, what do I need to do? I'll pay off the AAMCO card quickly and go back to using the Capital One Card.

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 12 of 13
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

ok. i did already explain this, but I will try to rephrase it differently.

The balance owed that is printed on your monthly statement (on the 16th, in your case) is the amount that will be reported each month on your credit reports.  This amount owed on the statement is what you should pay on the due date (on the 12th).

So, for example, say your card currently has a $0 balance.  You use your card once or twice and charge a total of $40.  This amount is floated until the next statement comes out on the 16th and shows that you owe $40.  Now you have until the due date (12th) to pay this amount without being charged any interest.  You can also use your card for other things during this time, for example, you charge $50 and also pay your $40 bill before the due date on the 12th.  Then on the 16th, a new statement will come out showing that you owe $50.  You now have until the next due date to pay this $50 without being charged any interest.

Thats how you should do it.  It costs you no money and builds credit while keeping the low utilization reporting that you wanted.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.