Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization calculation

tag
wit2bees
Contributor

Utilization calculation

Despite searching the boards I haven't seen a direct response to questions about Authorized User accounts being included in the Utilization calculation.  Per MyFico the usage on AU accounts are NOT used in the calculation of the utilization.   The limits and balance is included in totals however only accounts that are the responsibility of the borrower are used to calculate the utilization.  This was helpful for me as I am an AU on an account with a high balance 20k on 38k limit.  Its a 24 month 0 interest transfer and will be paid off before interest accrues.  My utilization has remained under 10% and I didn't want it to go up to 19% if this was included. 

Hope this helps someone on their rebuild!

TU 699 EQ 741 EX 767
- total CL = ?
- AAOA = 2.5 years
- Utilization = 9%
- Inquiries = TOOOOOOO MANY
- 50 accounts:
Updated 12/ 29 / 2021
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Utilization calculation

The answer is maybe. FICO has an anti-abuse algorithm that tries to weed out AU accounts where there's no real connection between the primary and authorized users. It's pretty much a guessing game, and whether the AU is counted may vary from score to score.

If you're trying to stay under a threshold, aim for 8.9%. The reason for this is that FICO rounds fractions up. 9.0000000001% rounds up to 10% and is no longer under 10%. There should be no utilization difference between 10% and 19%. The next threshold to pay attention to is 28.9%.

Message 2 of 3
DJRobbieD
Regular Contributor

Re: Utilization calculation

My Fico 8 scores via Experian CreditWorks appear to be incorporating the balances and CLs of two cards where I’m an AU, as do my VS 3.0 scores via Credit Karma and Chase Credit Journey.

**Update** Experian CreditWorks is confusing me. My UT% in their app incorporates both the balances and the limits from my AU cards, but my UT% on their website incorporates only the limits, so I'm not sure how the Fico 8 scores factor in AU cards...

TCL: $401.4k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.