Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venture one upgrade

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Venture one upgrade

My first ever credit card I got right after graduating college. It was the QS1 with capital one and a $300 limit. Over the years it slowly grew to a $3,500 limit. I was lazy and never bothered seeing if I could get an upgrade. A few months ago i asked if I could change to the regular QS and they said no and that my only option was the venture one. I took the upgrade because it got me out of the yearly fee and it is my oldest revolving account so I continue to keep it open since I now have no annual fee I just buy a candy bar every few weeks or so to keep it active. I got myself a regular QS a couple weeks ago by applying for it so now I have both cards. I keep being told every time I call in that I can't upgrade my venture one at this time but to be patient and keep calling in every few weeks to see if a PC is available. Has anyone ever had any success PC the venture one into a different card such as the QS or savor cards?

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Venture one upgrade

You have to wait 181 days in between PCs. They will not allow you to change it to the QS until that point. They do not entertain PCs to Savor cards, unfortunately. My current QS started life as a QS1, also PCd to a V1 along the way, and then 181 days after that I PCd it to a regular QS. You should be fine, you just need to wait it out until it's eligible. Congrats on your growth on that card! I love success stories about $300 Cap1 cards ending up with respectable limits down the road. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 53
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

There’s a chance down the road that you may be able to go to a regular QS or even a regular Venture. Like it’s been mentioned you’re just going to have to wait it out a bit.
Message 3 of 53
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

But would my also having a regular QS card prevent me from having the option to PC it once the 6 months passes? Or would it not matter that I already have a QS as well? If I am giving that option I would then close my current QS account since it would be pointless to have 2 accounts for the same card. 

Message 4 of 53
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

But would my also having a regular QS card prevent me from having the option to PC it once the 6 months passes? Or would it not matter that I already have a QS as well? If I am giving that option I would then close my current QS account since it would be pointless to have 2 accounts for the same card. 

Cap1 allows two QS cards, that is not an issue. I see members all the time with more than 1. A lot of times they end up with multiple cards due to Cap1 being accessible as a rebuilding platform therefore they will end up with multiple products from them, i.e. QS1, platinum. One or more will start out as a different version and be PCd down the road just like in your situation.  

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 5 of 53
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Any idea why I was only given the venture one as an option rather than the QS? I see on here people writing all the time about how the got the no rewards platinum card upgraded to a QS.

Message 6 of 53
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@rgd51, congratulations on being able to upgrade your QS1. Capital One is stingy with upgrades to those cards.

Now that you've lost the fee, chances are good that you'll have upgrade offers once your product change becomes six months old. You won't see anything before that.

There's no issue with having more than one of the same product. It's pretty common that someone has an upgraded starter card while also having a card that was issued as a Quicksilver to begin with.

I had three Quicksilvers for a while. All of them were the result of PCs. I was able to change one to a Savor during the short time that Savor PCs were being offered.

Message 7 of 53
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

My PC was over 3 months ago so hopefully in 3 months I will have another PC offer but why was the venture one my only option when it isn't nearly as good as the quicksilver?

Message 8 of 53
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

My PC was over 3 months ago so hopefully in 3 months I will have another PC offer but why was the venture one my only option when it isn't nearly as good as the quicksilver?

I don't think there's an answer to that as we don't know how Capital One's computers make these decisions.

But you did the right thing by accepting the VentureOne offer. While you're correct that the VentureOne isn't a great card, upgrading to rid yourself of a fee is one of the few reasons for acquiring one.

Message 9 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rgd51 wrote:

I think they honestly do this to keep people paying the AF. Since the QS and QS1 are the same rewards scheme, the VentureOne would actually be considered an "upgrade" even if the value of the rewards is lower. 

Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.