Did you mean: 

Virtual Card Numbers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Virtual Card Numbers

@blindambition wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't run into issues yet but I have read that Capital One doesn't make it easy for a rep to figure out which card a charge was made on and Capital One doesn't show it on your statement or online either so if you have fraud on any of them, you'll either have to play the escalation game to find a rep who can tell you which card the fraud was on or you'll have to dump all of your VCCs when you order the new card. Not ideal if you have a lot of them but Capital One has been testing locking them to the first merchant they're used on so if you have that feature on your account it can only be used on that site and shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't used them on my Rewards+ and Apple Card's VCC feature only lets you have one at a time so I just purge the number every time I use it online and that hasn't posed any problems for me. 

I'm not sure that's an issue anymore. In the iOS app, I now have option to copy actual card number, or create VCC. That's on both SO and QS.

Then there's now a Your VCC tab under Credit Wise. Shows all numbers in use, which can be named. Along with picker that flips to my different cards they belong with. Each VCC is used once with one vendor, it can be used on a subscription. Those two things clearly stated.

You have the option to create a VCC? I definitely don't have that. 

The option to manage your VCCs is there but the statement still doesn't show which VCC was used for a transaction. I haven't used my card lately or I would make a transaction on one of them and call them to see if they're able to tell which VCC it came from. If they have rolled out the merchant lock to everyone now though, that's a moot point I suppose, I didn't know that the feature had left beta. 

Message 11 of 36
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't run into issues yet but I have read that Capital One doesn't make it easy for a rep to figure out which card a charge was made on and Capital One doesn't show it on your statement or online either so if you have fraud on any of them, you'll either have to play the escalation game to find a rep who can tell you which card the fraud was on or you'll have to dump all of your VCCs when you order the new card. Not ideal if you have a lot of them but Capital One has been testing locking them to the first merchant they're used on so if you have that feature on your account it can only be used on that site and shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't used them on my Rewards+ and Apple Card's VCC feature only lets you have one at a time so I just purge the number every time I use it online and that hasn't posed any problems for me. 

I'm not sure that's an issue anymore. In the iOS app, I now have option to copy actual card number, or create VCC. That's on both SO and QS.

Then there's now a Your VCC tab under Credit Wise. Shows all numbers in use, which can be named. Along with picker that flips to my different cards they belong with. Each VCC is used once with one vendor, it can be used on a subscription. Those two things clearly stated.

The option to manage your VCCs is there but the statement still doesn't show which VCC was used for a transaction. I haven't used my card lately or I would make a transaction on one of them and call them to see if they're able to tell which VCC it came from. If they have rolled out the merchant lock to everyone now though, that's a moot point I suppose, I didn't know that the feature had left beta. 

Yes. The section that had your card number to copy, I'm now given option to copy real, or create VCC. I've used without issue. Created one for Walmart, since I don't want real in their wallet.

Message 12 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blindambition wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. The section that had your card number to copy, I'm now given option to copy real, or create VCC. I've used without issue. Created one for Walmart, since I don't want real in their wallet.

Interesting. I just went through and can find nowhere in the app to make a VCC. For that matter I don't have an option to view my actual card numbers either. The Android app didn't even have VCCs and then crashed and reloaded and has them now but the same functionality as my iOS app. 🤷‍♂️ 

Message 13 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone still use virtual credit cards (VCC), Shopsafe, Eno? Is there something better?

Bank of America got rid of their Shopsafe virtual accounts a year and half ago?

Citi looks like it's ending virtual credit cards in a month or two.  Really going to miss this because of the 2% cash back.

I have 3 capital one cards and their "eno" firefox add on but I have never been able to get it to work.  Is it only for chrome, how does the eno compare?

Are there any other alternatives?

Really hate putting my actual card on any website, checking statements to see if there's fraud, having to freeze accounts and get new cards with new numbers issued etc.

Message 14 of 36
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone still use virtual credit cards (VCC), Shopsafe, Eno? Is there something better?

Turn on text notifications for every charge. No need to check statements. It's tells you anytime there is a charge.

Message 15 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone still use virtual credit cards (VCC), Shopsafe, Eno? Is there something better?

Where did you see Citi is axing their VCCs? They only just recently got rid of the app and their clunky flash website and replaced it with a site that can even be used on phones now. 

I have a bunch of them with Capital One. I make them on my desktop with the Eno extension in Chrome and then I toggle them on and off on my phone as needed. 

I also have PayPal Key but you only have one number so if I used that frequently I would have to make a new one for each purchase, not ideal. Same thing with Apple Card. 

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GatorGuy wrote:

Turn on text notifications for every charge. No need to check statements. It's tells you anytime there is a charge.

The point of VCCs for me is to avoid ever having to deal with those charges to begin with. 

Message 17 of 36
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also have PayPal Key but you only have one number so if I used that frequently I would have to make a new one for each purchase, not ideal. Same thing with Apple Card. 

Do you mean a new Paypal Key credit card number or changing the card you want to use for Paypal Key? The former is a pain like you said, the latter just requires you changing the card you're paying with associated with current PPK card number

Message 18 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you mean a new Paypal Key credit card number or changing the card you want to use for Paypal Key? The former is a pain like you said, the latter just requires you changing the card you're paying with associated with current PPK card number

I'm guessing the first, as changing the associated card does nothing to prevent fraud charges! (Just goes on a different card)

Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I mean getting a new number. I use VCCs on sites I'm not sure about to try to cut down on fraud possibilities so I would be changing my number all the time. Same goes for my Apple Card. Each time I have used either of those, the number got changed immediately. 

ETA: Also, thanks for the reminder to delete my Key. I don't want one sitting there after all the complaints I have seen about the hassle PayPal has given people when fraud hit. If I ever need it, I'll set it up again. 

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.