Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF Propel Amex... Oh what a PITA!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

WF Propel Amex... Oh what a PITA!

Oh what a pain!

I spent the four day Thanksgiving weekend in my hometown 240 miles from where I currently live. I was just there visiting in mid-September. I stayed at the same exact hotel, ate at the exact same 3 restaurants, and shopped in the same two stores as I have every time I have been there since I moved to The Swamp 4 years ago.

I actually called my daily drivers and let them know ahead of time I was going to be out of my regular area of operation. My Wells Fargo Propel Amex worked once and then shut down. I called them and they gave me some BS excuses about how they do that when you use the card at places you usually don’t use it. I have used the card every time I have gone home since I got the card in July this year at the exact same places. This was 3rd trip. I hate that they do this.

They re-enabled the card and it worked once and I had to call them again…. And again. It’s such a hassle for an $800 total trip spend, for which I have already scheduled their payment with my bank. I have a lot of other cards in my purse, but this card should work when I want to put some spend on it.

Sadly, I am blacklisted by Amex still and can only go with amex network bank branded cards. If I could only get one that actually worked out of town. I need a travel card which is less of a hassle.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: WF Propel Amex... Oh what a PITA!

The frustration of dealing the with Lenders and how they protect your account is understandable. It is hard when you are going through it to see why it is happening when it is an inconvenience.

I think it is strange also that you had been there before making the same type purchases, but for some reason this time around, it was an issue. Then, once you called, it kept happening. Maybe their system is so strung up to look out for these issues that even if they try to allow for your scenario to play it, by default it reacts the way it did anyway.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Have you checked with US Bank?
There is an AMEX FlexPerks card, a VISA FlexPerks card, and the Altitude Reserve as good travel-related card options.

The PenFed Power Cash should be a good option as well.

Is there a reason you want AMEX as your “travel” card?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 10
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sadly, I am blacklisted by Amex still and can only go with amex network bank branded cards. If I could only get one that actually worked out of town. I need a travel card which is less of a hassle.

I'm curious as to why you can only go with Amex-network cards... and being blacklisted by Amex? This is sounds like a very unique situation (at least to me).

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OP, that’s really strange that the card would shut down like that. I just got back from DC 2 weeks ago and Dallas last week and had no problems with the Propel. Never used them there before either. Didn't even do the whole "I'm traveling" thing online.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah the whole experience is strange for sure. I'm thinking maybe it was because it was Black Friday. Or may be they have me on a list from all my credit seeking behavior this year and recently. I don't carry balances and have decided to give myself AZEO for Xmas. I just hate repeatedly dealing with this type of hassle with any CC especially with a line of shoppers behind me at check out. The Propel is my only travel card and I plan on replacing it ASAP. I always stay in hotels like a dozen times a year or more. So the triple or better points for hotel stays is a must. I rarely fly or leave the country. My dog travels with me and don't think she would like to get on a plane or be in a crate.

Sadly, I am 10/10 for the year on new cards so a CSP is out for quite a while. The Venture would req a triple pull. And I just got a CC from DCU upon opening savings & checking with them last week. And like I said I'm on the Amex blacklist for a CO in 2009. I app'd Amex before I got my USB cash + and Propel and was declined with a HP due to a previous neg relationship.

I already have the PenFed PCR and am really not interested in putting any use on it at this point it lives in my SD. In fact, I'm replacing PenFed with DCU and also already have Alliant from last years SSL.

I was thinking about the Barclay Wyndham Rewards Visa since they are hooking up with my preferred place to stay soon. But I really don't need another Nervous Nellie CC in my purse I already have a Chase FU cowaring and shaking in there from all my credit seeking behavior lately.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

We do love our amex's. When I was a kid working at a pet store, and a customer gave me that metal card to pay with, I was in awe thinking she must've been rolling in money. Sucks to grow up

Message 7 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
@OP, that’s really strange that the card would shut down like that. I just got back from DC 2 weeks ago and Dallas last week and had no problems with the Propel. Never used them there before either. Didn't even do the whole "I'm traveling" thing online.

+1

I routinely use my Propel out of state with no drama at all.  @Anonymous, if you continue to have issues call them back and ask for a supervisor; this is definitely not normal.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I won't have further issus with this card. I realized my Sam's Club MC offers 3% CB on travel including hotel stays so I no longer need to use my Propel for this. 

I did write a nice letter to the Wellies at investor services about my recent experiences with the WF Propel card and someone from their card services responed with some bonus points and an apology.

This won't ensure it won't happen again though.

Message 9 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I won't have further issus with this card. I realized my Sam's Club MC offers 3% CB on travel including hotel stays so I no longer need to use my Propel for this. 

I did write a nice letter to the Wellies at investor services about my recent experiences with the WF Propel card and someone from their card services responed with some bonus points and an apology.

This won't ensure it won't happen again though.

That solution works as well.

I also have the Sam's Club MC and it's always been solid.  The main thing I like better about the Propel is that I don't have to wait until February to redeem the rewards, but otherwise both cards are equally good 3% options for travel.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.