Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF Propel or Barclays Uber?

tag
Kevinception
Established Member

WF Propel or Barclays Uber?

The next credit card I get needs to have cell phone protection and high dining. The Uber gets the extra 1% but I feel that the Propel is an overall better card. Thoughts on the two? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Re: WF Propel or Barclays Uber?

Having chosen the Uber Card myself, I would have gone back and applied for the propel instead. Yes, propel gets 3% on dining, but it covers more when it comes to travel category (like parking and tolls). Not to mention Uber is a Barclays card. (It might just be my personal opinion, but of all the lenders I have had to deal with, I hate them the most.) Downside of Propel is that it is Amex, which does not have as wide acceptance as the Visa. Propel is also a metal card, so there is that, while the Uber Visa is my ugliest card ever (my name is directly underneath the Visa logo, and scratches way easily).

Message 2 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

When the choice is between a Visa and an Amex, always pick the Visa.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 11
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I also considered Uber vs Propel. I ended up choosing Uber. I would have chosen differently for travel reasons as well. Not impressed with Barclays CS. I wouldn’t choose another Barclays card.
Not only is it Visa vs AMEX, but cash back vs points.
Message 4 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

If someone is worried about 3% vs 4%, or how broadly travel is defined, it might be worth it to just bite the $450 bullet and get a CSR.

If someone is ineligible or decides a CSR is overkill, then another option is to just just pick up a bonus now and then and not worry too much about small differences in bonus categories.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 11
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Kevinception wrote:

The next credit card I get needs to have cell phone protection and high dining. The Uber gets the extra 1% but I feel that the Propel is an overall better card. Thoughts on the two? 

I have the Propel card. I don't use it for what it's worth. Figuring in that they had major mechanical issues with the card itself, they had to resend everyone a new card (I got my new card and they are giving me another 5K points for my inconveniences). If it wasn't for the NO AF and waiting for my points to post, I would have cancel it already. I may just SD it until its year is up just incase I need the 0% interest on something.  Another note, I had met my minimum spend before my second cut date. I called in and they said that the 30K points for $XXX spend within 3 months would be posted to your account within 1-2 billing cycles after the initial 3 months. Oh well. Rant over.... Cheers Peeps!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 6 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Even if we're talking $500 a month in dining spend, an extra 1% is ultimately only $5 more. So really not that big of a deal when you consider $5 barely (or doesn't!) cover an appetizer at a restaurant!

I would focus more on which lender you'd want to deal with, and which benefits are most important to you in terms of the cell phone protection etc. Network can be a consideration depending where you are and where you like to shop. I have never had any acceptance problems with Amex, but you can't rule it out entirely.

Neither bank has a wonderful reputation around here honestly, so you're going to get answers from both sides of the fence. It just comes down to who you want to put up with, or look into other options for dining rewards (but again, depending on your spend, that increase may not be worth worrying too much about).

Message 7 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@CramEiko wrote:

@Kevinception wrote:

I have the Propel card. I don't use it for what it's worth. Figuring in that they had major mechanical issues with the card itself, they had to resend everyone a new card (I got my new card and they are giving me another 5K points for my inconveniences). If it wasn't for the NO AF and waiting for my points to post, I would have cancel it already. I may just SD it until its year is up just incase I need the 0% interest on something.  Another note, I had met my minimum spend before my second cut date. I called in and they said that the 30K points for $XXX spend within 3 months would be posted to your account within 1-2 billing cycles after the initial 3 months. Oh well. Rant over.... Cheers Peeps!

I hit the spend on this card in the first month and they held back the bonus points until after the 90 day period.  The statement that cut after the 90 day period did indeed have my 30k point bonus on it.  Already redeemed them and hopefully the check is in the mail.  

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a streaming service like Netflix, the Uber offers a $50 streaming credit on $5000 total annual spend.  Or an extra 1% on the first $5K.

In that sense, Uber Visa retrurns 5% on dining and 4% on travel for the first $5000 in annual spend, and then 4/3 after that.

There may be a slight advantage to Uber in cell phone insurance protection as well.

Message 9 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Get both and add Savor too!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.