Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wal-Mart card requirements?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wal-Mart card requirements?

What do they generally look for when approving?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Wal-Mart card requirements?

@Anonymous wrote:
What do they generally look for when approving?

Well, they look at all the upfront basics such as your other cards/income/balances/history etc, and if most that is in reasonable good order they zero in on your TransUnion FICO Score and not necessarily in that exact order.

Not sure what their take is on any NEGS since some have been approved with those too.

Anyone else care to have a crack at this?

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My trans is 634 no negs
Message 3 of 12
Poppa
Established Contributor

I thought there was a 660 TU minimum for some reason. I could be wrong my memory is terrible. 

Edit: I just went to the credit pulls database and found lower score approvals so I must have been mistaken.

I saw an approval with a 585!

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the application for both the Wal-Mart store card and MasterCard just one app and they decide what you get?
Message 6 of 12
Poppa
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Is the application for both the Wal-Mart store card and MasterCard just one app and they decide what you get?

Yes. If you don't qualify for the MC you get the store card.

Edit: IF you qualify for the store card of course.

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved with several lates and chargeoffs showing. They were all over a year old, 2012-2013, approved Walmart September 2014. I do have a thick file, many many positive synchrony retail accounts over the years though.
Message 8 of 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

If you decide to try let us know how it went either way.

Another worthwhile chance is if you are approved then wait a bit and app for another of their cards but research here in the forums first before deciding.

Mine was Walmart followed 3 months later with Amazon and then Lowes before trying any of their Prime Bank branded cards and that seemed to move along pretty well with scores in the 650 and up range at the time.

GL Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm considering the Walmart card too, but am planning to wait until fall since I want to build my TU score (Penfed car loan finally reported to TU the other day so my score ought to start picking up now) and age my other accounts and inquiries. I didn't know the Walmart app was for both a MC and store card, I'd be satisfied with the store card but if I got the (co-branded) MC that would probably be better considering that one wants to minimize the number of store cards in their profile. Is there any data on being approved for a Walmart card (store or MC) with a BK in your profile from at least 2 or 3 years ago?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.