Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want to get AMEX

hello all,  I need to know if I should apply for Amex delta skymiles....I always wanted bluecash but I know I don't have a shot yet .

heres my credit and income situation 

all FICO 8 scores 

EQ. 616 

TU.  627 

EX. 621

last baddie according to FICO was Verizon wireless oct of 2013. And 2 medical collections 13 months ago 

income last year was 54000

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Want to get AMEX

Scores little low i think 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMX will typically issue either a green or blue card when your score is 650 plus. I have found that they have gotten more lenient than they use to be on credit scores. They will not issue anything if you have lates or charge offs within 3 years. I would call them and explain your situation and see if they could help. I had a green card for 15 years before my divorce in 02 and cancelled it. I got another one in 2011 and it has probably been the best single card I have for boosting my score. Best of luck 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved for Gold Delta SkyMiles the other day... 

My current Fako scores according to Experian are 646 (EX), 642 (TU), 636 (EQ), I have a few baddies (charge-offs & colllections) in my credit file from 4-6 years ago (thank you great recession of 2008/2009), and between 70%-80% utilization. 

I dont know if it makes a difference or not but they kept sending me emails telling me to apply & I'm "Preapproved" for multiple charge cards on their preapproval site.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

hello all,  I need to know if I should apply for Amex delta skymiles....I always wanted bluecash but I know I don't have a shot yet .

all FICO 8 scores 

EQ. 616 

TU.  627 

EX. 621

last baddie according to FICO was Verizon wireless oct of 2013. And 2 medical collections 13 months ago 

Well their charge cards have similar underwriting, should be slightly easier to get approved for vs a revolver...although more folks get delta gold, than not.

You could always use the same HP and first app for delta gold (make sure you get the best offer available as the regular 30k, u can almost always get 35k plus $50, but most folks are getting 50k miles bonus) and if denied, then app for the prg 50k offer via incognitio window.  Although the AF may not be for you.  Why not grab both, get 100k delta miles in the process, $250 in delta gift cards..downgrade to green card next year if its not for you.

I have to say, your scores are marginal for approval though. I would wait until your experian is at least 650-675....but sometimes the only way to get approved is to get denied, and find out what you need to work on.

Message 5 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

all FICO 8 scores 

EQ. 616 

TU.  627 

EX. 621

Well their charge cards have similar underwriting, should be slightly easier to get approved for vs a revolver...although more folks get delta gold, than not.

You could always use the same HP and first app for delta gold (make sure you get the best offer available as the regular 30k, u can almost always get 35k plus $50, but most folks are getting 50k miles bonus) and if denied, then app for the prg 50k offer via incognitio window.  Although the AF may not be for you.  Why not grab both, get 100k delta miles in the process, $250 in delta gift cards..downgrade to green card next year if its not for you.

I have to say, your scores are marginal for approval though. I would wait until your experian is at least 650-675....but sometimes the only way to get approved is to get denied, and find out what you need to work on.

I don't think OP needs to be denied to see what needs to be worked on. Its fairly obvious what is holding the scores down and time is what is likely needed. To the OP why do you need an amex delta card? You started off saying you want the blue cash. There is no point in applying for a card that you don't need, since amex backdating is no more. With somewhat recent collections and score on the low side I think an app may be risky. There may be other cards you can get that would help build up your credit history and you could come back to amex later.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

all FICO 8 scores 

EQ. 616 

TU.  627 

EX. 621

I have the card. My score was probably around 680 when I got it. I didn't care for the card, made no real use of it, paid an annual fee for nothing, had low limit and never CLI'd it, had no balance transfers, pc'd it after 13 months to something else.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Whether you should or not isn't simply a matter of whether or not you might get approved.  Your needs/wants determine the cards that suit you and there's no such information in your OP.  The Skymiles and Blue Cash (which one?) are very different cards.  Step back and outline your requirements for us if you want recommendations.  Have you run the numbers for your spend to assess the rewards programs?

@Anonymous wrote:

As always, if you have derogs then work on addressing them as they can have a signficant negative impact and hold you down.  Hit the Rebuilding subforum and carefully research before taking action.

Message 8 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There is no need to "be denied to know what to work on". Credit education is pretty easy to be had on sites like this and throughout the Internet. It is obvious what holds your score down in most cases. You can figure it out without apping for something you don't need.

As far as the actual card, if you wait you can likely get what you want (Blue Cash) instead of settling for Skymiles just because you think you can get it. Unless you are a Delta devotee and flying on it very often, the Skymiles is not regarded as an especially useful card.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, I guess I wasnt clear. I mean they need to get their scores up first, NOT apply now.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.