Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Propel Amex

tag
arenglish
New Contributor

Wells Fargo Propel Amex

Hey!

Does anyone have experience with this card? The 3x categories seem almost too good to pass up. I know WF has a past with banking I was wondering if anyone has anything positive or negative to say about this card, thinking about apping soon. Info down below in my sig.

Thanks!

10/19 TU:785; EX:752; EQ:728
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Propel Amex

Supposed to look awesome in personSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Propel, and I’m considering using it as my daily driver once I wrap up the 30k SUB

Before I go any further, I will say that I’m apparently one of eight people that’s never had any trouble from WF in my 20+ years with them. So YMMV.

3% Gas, Fast Food, Restaurants, hotels, and travel are excellent for a person who uses a pure cash back strategy. But where this card shines for me is with the Go Far Rewards program. Bonus points on tons of places that I shop. An example is the seemingly perpetual 5x bonus points per dollar send for Kohl’s in store. Which is effectively 6% cash back. The also have a 25x point per dollar promo in store for Kmart and jcpennys. Both of which I have close access to.

Message 3 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo has done some shady things in the recent past.  But I feel like for normal day to day operations with the bank, majority of people are just fine and experience little to no issues.  I dont have Wells Fargo, but before ultimately deciding to get a Chase account (only due to location) I talked to plenty of friends about it and none had issues.  

Besides that I am 100% on board with the Propel card, its arguably the best free card on the market.  Also worth noting, the Wells Fargo signature Visa card gives all Go Far points a 50% bonus towards airfaire redemption.  So consider pairing the two.

Message 4 of 42
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned above, I've never had any major issues with WF and I've banked with them for a very long time.

Not every FI will be a good fit for everyone. But, by the same token, there are tons of individuals who dislike Chase, BoA, Capital One, Barclays, SYNCB, AmEx, and so forth. And while WF has had their share of misgivings in the past, every FI is no saint either, so there's that.

I would say choose the product that best fits your needs whether short term or long term and evaluate its overall benefits.
Message 5 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a fine card. The only real issue is that straight cashback is limited to multiples of $25. That said, you can apply the points in any amount you want through their travel portal or through their online store (which at least has Amazon gift cards). Two things to keep in mind:

1. Remember to put your cell phone bill on it for the insurance, which is probably industry-best at the moment.

2. This goes from a merely "good" card to a great card with if you have the WF Visa Signature. However, that one will require an established banking relationship for a successful app.

Message 6 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card is pretty cool! Looks and feels nice, and has great rewards.
Message 7 of 42
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a fine card. The only real issue is that straight cashback is limited to multiples of $25. That said, you can apply the points in any amount you want through their travel portal or through their online store (which at least has Amazon gift cards). Two things to keep in mind:

1. Remember to put your cell phone bill on it for the insurance, which is probably industry-best at the moment.

2. This goes from a merely "good" card to a great card with if you have the WF Visa Signature. However, that one will require an established banking relationship for a successful app.

I did not know this ^^^; thanks for the heads-up!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 42
Creditfan1234
Contributor

I have to agree what others have stated here, No FI is a saint. Let’s be honest they all have a ridged sales culture that is just part of banking. (Don’t jump my guns for this comment, I work in the banking industry and experience this daily with multiple FI)

The cell phone insurance is the best benefit around along with the rewards on this card. I have my cell phone bill going through my WF visa signature card every month and have done for the past few years.
Message 9 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really is a great card and I've had zero issues with WF in 20+ years as a customer. They are my primary bank. Go Far Rewards is good too. I learned that you can pool rewards between accounts even if they earn different types of rewards. I pair the Cash Wise with the Propel along the same lines as the Chase CSP/FU combo. Granted there is the $25 redemption increment and no transfer partners which is a definite drawback to the GF Rewards.
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.