cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card should I get?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

What card should I get?

I'm 18 years old, I got my first card in September and I got a Discover it with $2500 CL and I just got an autoloan last month, I really want a second card. I applied for a blue cash everyday from AMEX back in february or so and got declined I really wanted to try it again or maybe a chase freedom? thoughts and opinions? 

EDIT

I just looked and in February I applied for a blue cash everyday from amex and I was declined due to not having any account for longer than 6 months, fico score is 735 currently

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: What card should I get?

Check the Chase and Amex prequal sites first to see if they have any offers for you. That will help you know if you have a good shot at approval. Capital One also has a prequal site. If none of those show anything, if you have a credit union you belong to, check with them.  Who financed your car? 
Message 2 of 13
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

What do your FICO credit scores look like......Smiley Happy

American Express Business Gold(NPSL 10k) Chase CSP (25k) Pier 1(23.5k) BofA CR Siggy (20.8k) BofA BBR (22.1k) Amex BCP(4.1k) Overstock (21.1K) Lowes (17K) NFCU CLOC (15K) NFCU VS Cash (15K) Care Credit (15k) J Crew( 11.9k)Venture WMC (10.25k) Amex Everyday (1k) Chase Slate (10k) Walmart MC(10k) BB Visa (10k) Discover(4.5k☝️) PayPal Cashback Mastercard (8k) Chase FU (7.4k) Citi AAdvantage Gold World Elite (9.5K) Citi Double Cash (8.5k) Fidelity® Rewards Visa Signature® Card (6.5K) PenFed PCR (5K) PayPal Credit (4550)Discover (500✌️) Kohls (3k) Chase Freedom (1500)

Mortgage May 2017 - 2 auto loans (1 PenFed and 1 Navy) Aug 2018=98K
Gardening until Aug 2020

FICO 8 Scores EX 702 EQ 704 TU(1) 716
AAOA 4.5yrs TCL=300,700
Message 3 of 13
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@800who wrote:

I'm 18 years old, I got my first card in September and I got a Discover it with $2500 CL and I just got an autoloan last month, I really want a second card. I applied for a blue cash everyday from AMEX back in february or so and got declined I really wanted to try it again or maybe a chase freedom? thoughts and opinions? 

In order to advise you I would need to know

(a) your FICO scores and

(b) what you would like in a card

Total revolving limits 646000 (570000 reporting) FICO 8 EQ 712 TU 739 EX 727

Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

730-735 for all three 

Message 5 of 13
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

730-735 TU EX EQU; and I don't really have any preference. No annual fees is only thing I can think of, something like what the amx blue cash offered or the chase freedom unlimited.

Message 6 of 13
Highlighted
Valued Member

I have this same question too. I got my first card in december. I got the CL to 1k the other day. I also have a 600 dollar credit builder loan. When should i apply for card two? Any sugestions when and what cards to look into? I want cashback and no fees. The citi double cash back looks interresting 

Message 7 of 13
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@800who wrote:

730-735 TU EX EQU; and I don't really have any preference. No annual fees is only thing I can think of, something like what the amx blue cash offered or the chase freedom unlimited.

Chase will want to see a longer history, as Amex did.

IMHO your best card, if you're applying at this juncture, would be the Capital One Quicksilver, but they usually pull all 3 bureaus.

If you just wait until October you can probably get the Chase Freedom Unlimited at that point.

Total revolving limits 646000 (570000 reporting) FICO 8 EQ 712 TU 739 EX 727

Message 8 of 13
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hey mainemade,

If you can get a pre-approval with chase, you should have a good shot at getting in with them. I was able to get a Freedom with only 4 months AAOA and a 707 Experian FICO. With Amex, I was approved for both a PRG and a BCE as soon as my reports were reporting my first account as being 6 months old with a 695 Experian at the time. 

May 2017 Starting Scores: TU 720, EX 704, EQ 707
July 2017 Current Scores: TU 719, EX 726, EQ 723
Goal Score: 750+ Across The Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I would wait out the 6 months. Capitalone is not worth it when you have scores like yours and so many better options after just a few short months. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.