EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 96
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: What causes the "app itch"?

@LS2982 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@TeeandDee wrote:

This "Credit Card" forum! LOL!!!  All the great news about "Just got approved for this card" or got this offer in the mail!" or that card!!!! 

Don't laugh. This is part of the answer: Onnela JP, Reed-Tsochas F, Spontaneous emergence of social influence in online systems, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 2010 Oct 26; 107(43): 18375-80

Smiley Indifferent

To summarize: participation in online forums influences our behavior, that behavior tends to become more extreme over time, this happens unintentionally. In other words, the "app itch" is caused, to some degree, by participation in this forum.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 12 of 96
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@TeeandDee wrote:

This "Credit Card" forum! LOL!!!  All the great news about "Just got approved for this card" or got this offer in the mail!" or that card!!!! 

Don't laugh. This is part of the answer: Onnela JP, Reed-Tsochas F, Spontaneous emergence of social influence in online systems, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 2010 Oct 26; 107(43): 18375-80

Smiley Indifferent

To summarize: participation in online forums influences our behavior, that behavior tends to become more extreme over time, this happens unintentionally. In other words, the "app itch" is caused, to some degree, by participation in this forum.

Gotcha!! I agree. But if you really want that prize you have to control it!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 96
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@TeeandDee wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

I definitely agree with it.

It's a double-edged sword. Had it not been for these forums, I probably wouldn't have an AMEX BCE, but if it weren't for my sense of self-control and willpower, I'd probably have 13 more cards. The "Keeping up with the joneses" makes it way into some of the threads sometimes. You see the other guy app and get the 60K bonus miles and see his info is relatively similar to yours, so why not... and then you post about how you might app... and then someone else chimes in "DO IT!", so at that point, you got the validation you needed... except, the other people aren't getting hit with INQ's but you are.

I wonder if people DID get hard pulls for suggesting credit card apps, if we'd see a much deader Credit Card forum.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 14 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@TeeandDee wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

It's a double-edged sword. Had it not been for these forums, I probably wouldn't have an AMEX BCE, but if it weren't for my sense of self-control and willpower, I'd probably have 13 more cards. The "Keeping up with the joneses" makes it way into some of the threads sometimes. You see the other guy app and get the 60K bonus miles and see his info is relatively similar to yours, so why not... and then you post about how you might app... and then someone else chimes in "DO IT!", so at that point, you got the validation you needed... except, the other people aren't getting hit with INQ's but you are.

I wonder if people DID get hard pulls for suggesting credit card apps, if we'd see a much deader Credit Card forum.

Who does that? Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 96
FrugalRican
Blogger

Indeed, who does that. I believe you'd be sharing my hard pull for the Discover More and Revelate for the AMEX BCE.

Thus proving CD's posting.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 16 of 96
Booner72
Senior Contributor

It is an addiction like gambling.   And reading the forum about other's successes is a trigger.

I'm going to bet that a lot of us here have addictive tendencies (Alcohol, drugs, cigs, gambling, sex, etc). 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 17 of 96
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@TeeandDee wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

+1!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 18 of 96
LS2982
Mega Contributor

No real addictions here for me.....except myFICO forums!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 96
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
No real addictions here for me.....except myFICO forums!

now now dont lie..we both have addictions for apping

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 20 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.