Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if you dont use a CC?

tag
danisgods
Regular Contributor

What happens if you dont use a CC?

i have gotten some nice approvals lately Amex Zync/ DiscoverMore for instance, i was going to give my other cards a brake at least (6 - 8months) Would anything happen to the accounts? If so what would it be? and how long of "non utilization" before that happens? maybe lower my CL? Smiley Sad

Starting Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Current Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Goal Score: 760-780

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: What happens if you dont use a CC?

Depends on the card.

The popular wisdom is that bank cards should be used at least once every 3-4 months. Store cards can go longer, 6-12 months.

HSBC/ Orchard bank cards went nuts a year or so ago and were closing cards that went for a month without new charges. I don't know if they've calmed down since then.

As for what might happen, it seems more common that the account is closed outright, and they might or might not tell you before you finally try to use it. Less common but also seen is a reduction in credit limit (CLD.)

For me, the easiest way to keep a sock-drawered bank card alive is to use it periodically for a tank of gas. I need gas anyway, so it's not like I'm being tempted to go bat-wild in credit land. This way you can toss the card back in the drawer and just pay it off online as soon as the charge shows up.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.