Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between USAA full and partial membership

tag
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

What is the difference between USAA full and partial membership

Debating if I want to join or not. I would only be eligible for partial membership.
Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Membership question

Ive been a full member of USAA since 1991 so I cant speak for partial member but for me their customer service alone has been enough incentive to deserve my loyalty. I also bank with NFCU and have had local banks with physical branches as well (BA and Wells Fargo) and USAA CSRs blow them out of the water. Just my experience tho...

One negative aspect of their cs however, and there are many examples of this on these boards, is that you can call 10 different CSRs for USAA about a particular product/problem/question and get 10 different answers

Message 1 of 8
Datx
Valued Contributor

Re: What is the difference between USAA full and partial membership

@Believe1970 wrote:
Debating if I want to join or not. I would only be eligible for partial membership.

You will not be eligible for insurance products. You're limited to only certain credit card product(s). From what I seen, they seem to be more lenient when it comes to credit approvals for full member than they are to folks with partial membership.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyCreditStinks wrote:

@Believe1970 wrote:

You will not be eligible for insurance products. You're limited to only certain credit card product(s). From what I seen, they seem to be more lenient when it comes to credit approvals for full member than they are to folks with partial membership.

+1  That about covers it!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Membership question

@Believe1970 wrote:
Is there any benefit of joining USAA if you can't get full membership?

They are a very good bank.  Without "full" membership you can't get certain insurance products, can't use Deposit@Home and often the terms you get on credit products aren't as good, but overall I think it's worth it. 

Although their rates aren't stellar, they are still better than BofA, for example, and their online banking is very comprehensive. 

Message 5 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I'll add that there is one benefit you can get, even as a partial member. You can get their CMS for only $12+ a month, and it's the one that will give you all 3 credit reports, refreshed daily if you want. Plus, the CMS cust service is in Texas, and they seem to be very friendly (or maybe it's just their southern accent. Smiley Wink).

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 8
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

2nd that on the CMS.  Great price for that type of product.

I have full membership but just checking account at this point.

Very impressed with their website and customer service.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm assuming CMS is actually Credit Monitoring Premium, or CMP.

I joined them originally for that reason, I'm not eligible for full membership.  I also ended up opening a checking account because of the great ACH system they have.

I've never spoken with their customer service team, which is what I look for in a company...not having to call them.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.