cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the purpose of having a high CL when u never use it?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is the purpose of having a high CL when u never use it?

@Fico2Go wrote:

Has anyone ever used up most or all of thier $5k+ CL?  Yes, even higher.

Everyone seems to be pushing for CL increases but how likely are you to use it?  Are high CLs meaningless illusions?  Define "illusions" I'm sure there are many here like myself that are positioning their CRs for the highest approval amount and in many cases banking on high CLs to get even higher CLs.  Everyone has different sets of financial goals  But will you ever get a chance to use it?  I know I do and have, will you if you get approved for something that high? 

I pose this question beause many members seem to have the following characteristics:  many is subjective, not everyone on this board would provide a true or meaningful statistical analysis since this forum only accounts for a very finite number of individuals, even those that report their usage in such fashion is a trivial percentage.

1:  To maintain low DTI most only charge 10% or less of their available credit lines.  So a 10K CL will get used $1000;  I have used most if not a good portion of such a high CL and PIF.

2:  There is possibility ( with increasing speed of technology and scores ) that creditors will know almost instantaneously when account balances are increasing;  The technology is already in place, the majority of lenders already have access to mid/off-cycle and real-time reporting data

3:  As TLs usage increases creditors could decrease limits; Not necessarily, and this is only your theory - depends on so many factors from economic cycles to deteriorating portfolio performance, exit strategies etc.

4:  Inactive TLs are now getting closed.  This has always been the case for all lenders - nothing new.  Some have policies that close inactive accounts earlier than others.

Some people shows multiple cards with high limits and yet they use only $500 a month.  Where then is the value of having high CLs?  Thanks for shedding some light... 

The value is having the flexibility in purchasing power and reward programs and not having to worry about juggling multiple CCs to accommodate certain large transactions (i.e. airline tickets to overseas destinations, etc.).  Serves as a great tool in the event any temporary emergency arises. 

Message 11 of 65
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

Thigh higher your limits are, the more debt that you can carry while keeping it at <10% utilization.

+1. It really depends on your lifestyle and spending habits, but for some the answer is definitely yes.

I just charged $1400 for dinner a few hours ago, so blowing through 5k is very easy. If my CLs were lower, I'd have very high util all the time. At that point my score would tank so for me yes, having higher CLs helps.

+2

Plus I assume CreditScholar dines in very fine establishments Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 65
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

My Journey...  I bet the credit companies know this all too well.  They know that even if they grant CLs of $50K the accountholder will use no more than $10K. 

And if that person uses more than 10K a domino effect begins to take hold.

AA for possible account closure;

Other creditors following suit;

interest rate goes up;

Seems all our hardwork to RECON and request for CLIs may not be all that useful if in fact we can't or wont be allowed to effectively use the it.  

Shall I say a glass ceiling effect is in place? 

Not so true some use there whole limits monthly and then PIF and risk no AA/FR or any other adverse effect

For sake off example company A has a card limit 50k uses 48k monthly PIF 

Do you really think they want to lose that customer when you add what was spent plus swipe fees upwards of 576,000 a year

Because that much was spent doesn't mean that a balance will be carried.

Some use cards to finance making money again PIF 

I have a buddy rehabs houses pays cash for the house dirt cheap

CC's to remodel and then sells all within a 30-45 day period

IMHO you need to broaden the way your looking at cards

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 65
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

Thigh higher your limits are, the more debt that you can carry while keeping it at <10% utilization.

+1. It really depends on your lifestyle and spending habits, but for some the answer is definitely yes.

I just charged $1400 for dinner a few hours ago, so blowing through 5k is very easy. If my CLs were lower, I'd have very high util all the time. At that point my score would tank so for me yes, having higher CLs helps.

+2

very fine?  More like SUPER fine establishments where the waitstaff would shine your shoes and stuff

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 14 of 65
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@FinStar wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

Everyone seems to be pushing for CL increases but how likely are you to use it?  Are high CLs meaningless illusions?  Define "illusions" I'm sure there are many here like myself that are positioning their CRs for the highest approval amount and in many cases banking on high CLs to get even higher CLs.  Everyone has different sets of financial goals  But will you ever get a chance to use it?  I know I do and have, will you if you get approved for something that high? 

I pose this question beause many members seem to have the following characteristics:  many is subjective, not everyone on this board would provide a true or meaningful statistical analysis since this forum only accounts for a very finite number of individuals, even those that report their usage in such fashion is a trivial percentage.

1:  To maintain low DTI most only charge 10% or less of their available credit lines.  So a 10K CL will get used $1000;  I have used most if not a good portion of such a high CL and PIF.

2:  There is possibility ( with increasing speed of technology and scores ) that creditors will know almost instantaneously when account balances are increasing;  The technology is already in place, the majority of lenders already have access to mid/off-cycle and real-time reporting data

3:  As TLs usage increases creditors could decrease limits; Not necessarily, and this is only your theory - depends on so many factors from economic cycles to deteriorating portfolio performance, exit strategies etc.

4:  Inactive TLs are now getting closed.  This has always been the case for all lenders - nothing new.  Some have policies that close inactive accounts earlier than others.

Some people shows multiple cards with high limits and yet they use only $500 a month.  Where then is the value of having high CLs?  Thanks for shedding some light... 

The value is having the flexibility in purchasing power and reward programs and not having to worry about juggling multiple CCs to accommodate certain large transactions (i.e. airline tickets to overseas destinations, etc.).  Serves as a great tool in the event any temporary emergency arises. 

I also use my CL but because I do not like to pay interest, I PIF. The lenders are happy because they are getting fat off my swipe fees...and boy can I swipe. 

You've mentioned your luv of using the PayPal Debit card for 1.5% cashback.  Whike there is nothing wrong with having a cash back card, I achieve much more in return when I use my reward cc's.  

Years ago, I might have been satisfied with cashback only but I like the perks and benefits of room upgrades, free baggage, seat upgrades, free airline tickets etc.  

My file is thick do I'm not worried about lender being scared if I decide to have dinner with my friends CreditScholar and FinStar in SF for a few thousand. 

With Amex and other lenders doing their random SP's they are well aware of my spending. 

Message 15 of 65
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

+2

Well I do sometimes. It was a 2 Michelin star rated restaurant, although it was a bit of a disappointment. I don't think I'll be going back there anytime soon.

I'll be going to an even higher rated restaurant this weekend, so hopefully it'll make up for tonight and then some.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 16 of 65
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

I also use my CL but because I do not like to pay interest, I PIF. The lenders are happy because they are getting fat off my swipe fees...and boy can I swipe. 

You've mentioned your luv of using the PayPal Debit card for 1.5% cashback.  While there is nothing wrong with having a cash back card, I achieve much more in return when I use my reward cc's.  

Years ago, I might have been satisfied with cashback only but I like the perks and benefits of room upgrades, free baggage, seat upgrades, free airline tickets etc.  

My file is thick do I'm not worried about lender being scared if I decide to have dinner with my friends CreditScholar and FinStar in SF for a few thousand. 

With Amex and other lenders doing their random SP's they are well aware of my spending. 

+2

Exactly.  And she swipes with such fabulous style!  I'd meet y'all in SF anytime!  Plus, I want to see those new wheels soon!

Message 17 of 65
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Lexie... rewards whether baggage fees or seat upgrade or concierge services can be paid with cash too.  So I'm not quite convince.. not yet a tleast.. that cash is inferior to rewards programs.  Unless of course the value in rewards broken down as cost value exceeds that which cash could buy. 

Some use cards to finance making money again PIF 

I have a buddy rehabs houses pays cash for the house dirt cheap

CC's to remodel and then sells all within a 30-45 day period

Myjourney.. On your final comment  "IMHO you need to broaden the way your looking at cards."   Yes I am aware that CCs can be great substitutes for short term interest free loans.  But there's also risks in doing so.  I won't get too much into this but yes u are correct. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 18 of 65
chwebb1
Established Contributor

When my BCE was still at $2800, I actually charged around $2000 to it in one month, and PIF before the statement cut. I never heard anything from Amex. I frequently get my Discover above 50% and I've never heard from them. I'll let 20-35% report on my Ring (the only card I let report a balance). I also got my BB&T card to $2000/2500. So I like having higher limits so if I need to spend money, I don't have to go scramble figuring out how to do it.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 19 of 65
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Chwebb I am thinking and learning the best way to use CC for me is along the same line as u have described.  Maybe 10% ratio is too little for me.  When needed I could go up to 90% or all of the available balance as long as I can PIF at end of month.  I dont think  any creditor is going to shut down a good customer that pays them back on time.  I would imagine that the scores could be managed in such a way that you will always have the highest scores when scores become needed. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.